Which Trip Computer should I buy?

RHayzor
RHayzor Posts: 24
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a trip computer for a Hardtail MTB. I'm currently considering the Cateye Velo Wireless Plus, but have read this may not be suitable for an MTB, any suggestion?

Doesn't need bells and whistles, the basics will be fine, budgets £30-£40.

Cheers,

R.

Cube Ltd TEAM 2011 (Anodised Black)

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Cateye wireless Strada, used to hate unreliable wireless until someone got me one of these. Never failed, one button operation, nice clear screen and can be mounted on the stem or bar. Merlin is normally cheap on these and they are offering discount at the moment.
  • CraigXXL wrote:
    Cateye wireless Strada, used to hate unreliable wireless until someone got me one of these. Never failed, one button operation, nice clear screen and can be mounted on the stem or bar. Merlin is normally cheap on these and they are offering discount at the moment.

Yes, awesome bit of kit. Get it... You don't need anything more, cadence is for XC racers and roadies! Or get some cheap wired ones for a tenner and replace it when they break?
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I've been using the Cat Eye Micro Wireless on my XC bike and it's stood the test of time. Never had any issues with it, just had to change the battery after about a years use.

On another of my bikes I've been using the Cat Eye Strada Wireless and the only downside is mud getting underneath it and then the button not working as well. This only happened a couple of times but enough for it to be annoying.

Dave
  • RHayzor
    The Strada, I had looked at it a while ago, it looks pretty solid too.

I've just had a look at the Micro Wireless as well and I've read some more encouraging reviews, may be on to a winner as it has a backlight too.

Will post what I buy thanks for the advice dudes.

R.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    + for Cateye Strada wireless.
    Brilliant little unit. Now available in colours too - saw yellow ones at Evans a while back. Just keep your mobile phone away from it or you'll get weird readings, and change batteries about every 18 months.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • Nachimir
    Nachimir Posts: 126
    I've had no major issues with the Micro Wireless, though the backlight is a bit poo, and something (vibrations? RF interference?) have very occasionally made it report my fastest speed on a ride as 80 - 96mph. Really rare for that to happen though, overall probably three times in two thousand miles.

Strada looks nice, tempted to upgrade.
  • RHayzor
    Cheers all,

Went with the Cateye Wireless Micro. Set up was easy enough, fits neatly on the stem without affecting my light battery pack underneath, reads accurately too.

Yes Nachimir, I see what you mean, the backlight is a bit poo. But still handy to have!

Happy with my purchase, thanks again.

R.