Which Pads?

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
I need some front pads for my bike and I'm not sure which type of pads to go for.

I've got a Boardman HT Pro which runs Avid Elixir R Carbon brakes and most of my riding is around Swinley Forest.

I'm looking at Superstar pads as they're pretty cheap but can't decide between Organic, Sintered or Kevlar. What's the benefit of the different pads?

Another thing I've noticed with the front brake is that there's a lot of travel on the lever. Is this probably down to the system needing bled or could it just be down to the fact that the pads are worn out?

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Go for sintered for winter, anything else will wear away in a few rides.

The lever travel will probably be down to the worn pads. If it feels mushy at the end if the stroke, then it needs a bleed.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Thanks for that, I'll get some ordered now :)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    CRC have proper avid sintered pads at around half price right now, much better than most aftermarket pads. My organic avid pads lasted 6 months through harsh mud.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    thel33ter wrote:
    Go for sintered for winter, anything else will wear away in a few rides.

Depends on your local mud really. With proper high quality scottish mud I'm still using the same superstar Kevlars I fitted in September. OTOH I think if I tried that in the peaks they'd have evaporated in half a ride.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've gone for the sintered. I'll see how I get on with them.

At £5 a set from Superstar, I'll probably try them all out at some point to see what suits me best.
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Am I right in thinking the genuine Avid pads come with a new spring clip and bolt?
    If so, probably worth buying an Avid set occasionally.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    d3matt wrote:
    Am I right in thinking the genuine Avid pads come with a new spring clip and bolt?
    If so, probably worth buying an Avid set occasionally.

Superstars come with new spring clips