on-one inbred/456 with RS recon solo air - what travel?

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently bought a second hand on-one frame, not sure whether it is the inbred or 456.
It does have an inbred decal, but it has been resprayed, so don't know whether it was the original decal or new one ...

Anyways.. am running RS recon solo air's up front, currently at the stock 80mm travel.
Going off the decal on them, and a bit of googling, it looks like I can strip down - remove/reduce spacer and increase to max 130mm travel.

Firstly, am I right?

Secondly, if I am right, is it a wise thing to do?

My riding is mostly xc but with a lot of technical stuff thrown in and I am also beginning to try downhills.

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Do you know wether the fork aftermarket or original equipment?

If it was aftermarket then it is likely you can, but if it was OE, they can have all sorts of odd configurations.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Having the same issue with my Recon 335's

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12748779

Running at 120mm as supplied with my Giant Trance X5 however, as the sticker on the side says, I reckon I can move them up to 130mm (not a lot in it but if they have an extra 10mm id like to be able to use it). Think im just going to take them apart and have a look for a spacer. I did wonder about asking Rock Shox directly with the serial number but cant find a contact.
  • DodgeT
    edited December 2010
    Fork was OE on this http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/mezzana-disc-08-32277
    which says 100mm, but also says recon 335, i cannot see anything othr than recon sl on the forks, and it does have the sticker with all of the settings for the diffrent travel 80mm and 100 - 130mm
  • thel33ter
    As far as I know all Recons have the same sticker on the side. The only way to know for sure is to open them up.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • DodgeT
    The instructions from RS make it look pretty easy, is it actually easy? I guess it would be worth doing the seals at the same time.

Assuming I can change the travel on mine, is it wise to do so, for the type of riding / frame I mentioned?
  • Good video showing how to put/remove spacers in a solo air fork. Looks fairly straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQQRXNITUP8

Like I say good video, just hit mute hehe
  • thel33ter
    If it's a 456 yes, but if it's an Inbred the max reccomended fork is 100mm.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • DodgeT
    he's bloomin fast with that pump :shock:

cheers, does look easy.
  • DodgeT
    thel33ter wrote:
    If it's a 456 yes, but if it's an Inbred the max reccomended fork is 100mm.

How do I determine if its a 456 or inbred though?
  • thel33ter
    Emailing the serial number to On One is probably the easiest, as the frames look very similar, unless it has slot drop-outs, in which case it is an Inbred.

Unless someone knows more about particular features on each frame.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Look at the join between the seat stays/seat tube/top tube. On a 456, they line up, on an Inbred the top tube is lower than the seat stays.

Inbred:
    FROOIN-18-BLK_P1-464033149.jpg

456:
    FROO456-18-PIN_P1-1930769030.jpg

Ignore what the stickers say - I've seen 456s labelled up as Inbreds, and Inbreds labelled up as 456s
  • thel33ter
    You could also do that :lol:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I think the top-tube being lower thing only applies if it's an 18" or larger frame. Might be wrong.

Anyway, Inbreds will happily take a 130mm fork, IMO. They're just not quite as strong as a 456 due to different diameter top-tubes. Even says on O-O's site that they know people who run them at 140mm despite their claimed 100mm MAX. Before CEN-testing they warrantied up to 130mm if I remember correctly.
  • DodgeT
    Well this is it, and its an 18" frame, so looks like its a 456 then and hopefully no prob with the longer travel.

bike.jpg[/img]
  • Duffer
    thel33ter wrote:
    You could also do that :lol:

I did some pretty exhaustive research before i bought my 456 :wink:
    warpcow wrote:
    I think the top-tube being lower thing only applies if it's an 18" or larger frame. Might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it applies across the board, but i can't find anything to substantiate it. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, i think!

To the OP - looks like you have a 456, my friend! Enjoy it!
  • DodgeT
    Well hopefully tomorrow, it'll be a 456 with more travel :D

Off topic, going from the land rover linked above (which I had and swapped all the bits onto this), I cant believe how different it rides, never would of thought a frame (which to me isn't massively different - but then again I don't now much about frames :oops: ) would make so much difference. The land rover was good, but this now is so much more capable at everything, I love it :D

Back on topic, only downside i'm guessing at with the extra travel is climbing - will I end up popping wheelies going up hill??
  • thel33ter
    Unlikely, the increase will only make the bike around 1.5 degrees slacker.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • DodgeT
    Thanks, roll on tomorrow, hopefully halfords will lend me a shock pump for 5 mins and then to sort my sag :s
  • Duffer
    DodgeT wrote:
    Back on topic, only downside i'm guessing at with the extra travel is climbing - will I end up popping wheelies going up hill??

Unlikely - but it's not too difficult to fix if you do: Move the seat forward on the rails, fit a longer/lower rise stem, fit a lower rise bar.... or the cheap option, learn to move your weight forward!
  • DodgeT
    OK, so i've done what the vid shows, but the legs wont come out??
    Also, no oil came out??
  • DodgeT
    Done it, hadn't tapped the bottom bolts hard enough.

After all that, no bloomin spacer, looks like I got 100mm forks for good.