Setting off a speed camera on your bike.

blackpoolkev
blackpoolkev Posts: 474
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    I've tried :shock:
  • It is a long held ambition of mine to receive a speeding ticket whilst on my bike.

Here in Guernsey the speed limit is 25mph and the police strictly enforce so I have a chance before I move back to the UK in a couple of years.

Every time I see a police car though I'm going uphill. :roll:
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    It is a long held ambition of mine to receive a speeding ticket whilst on my bike.

Here in Guernsey the speed limit is 25mph and the police strictly enforce so I have a chance before I move back to the UK in a couple of years.

Every time I see a police car though I'm going uphill. :roll:

It might be out of date but I think you can't be done for speeding in the UK but you can be done for 'furious' riding! Now I would give a weeks pay to be done for that!
  • Is it legal? I've had my eye on a couple of 30mph ones locally.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Is it legal? I've had my eye on a couple of 30mph ones locally.

I don't know of any speed limits that apply to bicycles other than in the royal parks where they can be as low as 5mph...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It is possible but the biggest problem we face isn't reaching the speed, it is being picked up by the camera as we are a smaller target are than the road vehicles they are designed to catch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viUJ8XCKHkI

I have set another sign off at a lower speed and had a smile at 22mph.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've done it Once.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    The other problem is that the BR audience is notoriously sceptical. They insist on photographic evidence. Even if you did manage to set off a camera, where would they send the photo?
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've done it Once.
    Photo or it didn't happen.

See what I mean? ;-)
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Even if you set the speed camera off theres no way of getting the piccy without grassing yourself up. I know where theres one at the bottom of a very steep hill thats a 30mph zone and you (with good skills) could easily get upwards of 50+
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • le_boss
    le_boss Posts: 183
    edited December 2010
    never been done by a fixed speed camera, but i have been stopped by pigs with a radar gun. was apparently doing 35 going downhill into town and its a 30 zone - although my garmin showed me as doing 30!! :evil:

one thing to add - they gave me my ticket for 'furious cycling' but they told me that if i am caught again i could face court action and even points on my driving license. are they yanking my chain there?? i mean what the hell has cycling got to do with driving?!!!!!
  • On a club run last year we came down the steep and long hill from the Penrhys estate above the Rhondda Valleys. It's a pretty good surface, and the fastest descent that I know of in these parts. I clocked 48mph, which is scary enough for me, and others were going faster.

I think most of us were flashed by the speed camera at the bottom of the hill. Maybe the fact that we were in a bunch - well, a strung-out bunch - helped trigger the camera.

Most of us were wearing club jerseys but I don't think any speeding tickets arrived. :wink:
  • Its not big and its not clever!!!!!

but boy is it fun.... lol :oops:

some just wont go off even if your doing 10mph over the limit.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Managed it a couple of times. I like the speed warning signs too, the sad face that comes up if going over the speed limit is the sign of victory :D
  • Pokerface
    fish156 wrote:
    The other problem is that the BR audience is notoriously sceptical. They insist on photographic evidence. Even if you did manage to set off a camera, where would they send the photo?
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've done it Once.

See what I mean? ;-)

Indeed.

There's a few cameras heading in and out of Leek. I've tried many times to set it off and only once has it flashed. But no way to prove it :oops:
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I was stopped for speeding in Richmond Park by the park police about 30 years ago. The speed limit was 30mph then but no cameras..
  • Pokerface wrote:
    fish156 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've done it Once.

See what I mean? ;-)

Indeed.

There's a few cameras heading in and out of Leek. I've tried many times to set it off and only once has it flashed. But no way to prove it :oops:

The one down the drop from the town centre on the way out to Macc is ripe for the picking - I went through there at just shy of 40 and looked behind me as I went across the markings but still didn't set it off :(
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Only vehicles with a calibrated speedometer can be 'done' for speeding, cyclists can only be stopped by the police if they are seen to be riding dangerously. The charge of 'furious' riding is well out of date and wouldn't stand up in court.

Cyclists can't set off speed cameras as they are too small and aren't targeted by them so any cyclist who says they have is telling lies.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Only vehicles with a calibrated speedometer can be 'done' for speeding,

No, it is not a defence to speeding that you do not have a calibrated speedometer. Of course most speed limits simply do not apply to bikes.
    cyclists can only be stopped by the police if they are seen to be riding dangerously. The charge of 'furious' riding is well out of date and wouldn't stand up in court.

They can also be stopped by police for speeding and radar traps are common for cyclists I've seen a couple of dozen in the last year when out cycling. But of course they only happen where speed limits apply to cyclists - namely royal parks.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • pk64
    pk64 Posts: 53
    I went through one of the ones that flashes up with the speed once and it said 37 (with a :( face), but my computer said 17....
    2009 Trek 3900 - MTB (Upgraded)
    1976 Eddy Merckx - Road (Restored)
  • Maybe there was a BMW right behind you?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • pk64
    pk64 Posts: 53
    lol, no it was out on a quiet country road, I'm sure there were no cars around.
    2009 Trek 3900 - MTB (Upgraded)
    1976 Eddy Merckx - Road (Restored)
  • Lancslad wrote:
    Even if you set the speed camera off theres no way of getting the piccy without grassing yourself up. I know where theres one at the bottom of a very steep hill thats a 30mph zone and you (with good skills) could easily get upwards of 50+

Bottom of Parbold Hill? 8)
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    pk64 wrote:
    I went through one of the ones that flashes up with the speed once and it said 37 (with a :( face), but my computer said 17....

I tend to find the signs are quite accurate, if your computer says 17 then either that is off or like mentioned there was a car that triggered it. They pick up the larger motorised vehicles but still update to the bicycles speed if you look long enough. :)

Im sure theres a thread like this knocking about not so long ago..
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Been trying to set the 30mph one off on the hill into Lincoln for some time with no joy.
    I did overtake a Porsche Boxter who had slowed down for it, was quite pleased with myself :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Trouble is although the speed limit might be 30mph, there's also a 10% alowance for error, so you'll have to go at least 33mph before it's even illegal.

But even then the police arn't going to want to waste their film with people going only 33mph.

I doubt most speed cameras in a 30mph limit will be programed to 'go off' before at least 40mph, if not more.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    fish156 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've done it Once.

See what I mean? ;-)

Indeed.

The one down the drop from the town centre on the way out to Macc is ripe for the picking - I went through there at just shy of 40 and looked behind me as I went across the markings but still didn't set it off :(

I set that one off the other night!! Unfortunately I was in my car at the time. :cry: :oops:
  • Not sure you would get a ticket for setting off a camera, as the ticket is sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle via its index plate!!
    Would be fun to set one off though. When I was younger I got pulled over for speeding on my bike, they say I was doing 52 in a 40!! It was down hill and windy!!
    1990 - Trek 950
    1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
    1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
    1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
    1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
    2003 - Specialized Epic
    2006 - Specialized Allez Elite
  • RichardSwt wrote:
    Trouble is although the speed limit might be 30mph, there's also a 10% alowance for error, so you'll have to go at least 33mph before it's even illegal.

But even then the police arn't going to want to waste their film with people going only 33mph.

I doubt most speed cameras in a 30mph limit will be programed to 'go off' before at least 40mph, if not more.

ACPO (Association of chief police officers) guidlines are: speed limit, add 10% + 2 mph if you break that your gonna get a ticket (if they can trace you!!)
    1990 - Trek 950
    1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
    1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
    1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
    1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
    2003 - Specialized Epic
    2006 - Specialized Allez Elite
  • le_boss wrote:

one thing to add - they gave me my ticket for 'furious cycling' but they told me that if i am caught again i could face court action and even points on my driving license. are they yanking my chain there?? i mean what the hell has cycling got to do with driving?!!!!!

You can't get points on your driving licence for, as it were, ordinary traffic offences such as speeding or jumping a red light committed on a bike, but there are a couple of exceptional circumstances where it might happen:

You can lose your licence if you injure someone while riding a bike as a result of reckless or wilful riding. I think the reasoning here is that if you're that stupid on a bike, there's no way you should be in charge of a car. Quite so.

In addition the law creating speed limits was written specifically to apply to motor vehicles.

However, here's a quirky one. You can get points for going equipped to steal a motor vehicle even if you are not in a motor vehicle yourself. So if want to get revenge on someone who cut you up, don't steal his car, just torch it :)
    John Stevenson