Boardman Pro FS New Tyres - Nobby Nic?

plife
plife Posts: 97
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Back from Bedgebury today and stacked it in the slush, and was struggling for grip in the muddy conditions.

Heard a lot that the Conti Speed Kings are not very good, and after today I agree!

Been looking around for a suitable replacement and currently looking at some Nobby Nics 2.25. Seem to get good reviews.

Are these the way to go or any other suggestions?
Boardman FS Pro 2010
Felt F5 2011

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    If the condition today are like the ones I rode in yesterday most tyres would struggle.

Nobby Nics get good reviews here, just order one myself to try. On-One are doing last years half price atm: http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q ... albe-tyres
  • Half price tyres = win
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • plife
    plife Posts: 97
    Great spot! At that price definitely worth a try!
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • I've got NN's on the Cube and while they've better than the Speed Kings on the Boardman, I'd go for something a bit grippier in this weather.
    '03 Specialized HR Comp
    '10 Cube LTD Team
    '10 Boardman FS Team - gone but not forgotten!
    '11 Giant Anthem X4
  • I've taken off my 2.25 Nobby Nicks - not great in the mudd, the width doesn't help either.

Running Maxxis Medusa (1.8") which are much better, Bontrager Mud X also seem to be a popular choice.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I put Mountain King Protections on mine from new and they have coped with everything. That said I haven't ridden in the snow this year.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I was getting more traction in the snow and ice than now in the mud, all that freezing has made conditions extremely muddy.

Took my Nobby Nics off at the beginning November and put a Mud X 2.00 on the back and a Trailracker 2.1 on the front.

Even with 22psi in the tyres today there was plenty of spinning out, I was riding far more sideways than when the snow was about, but it was 3 hours of fun. :D
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"