new disc brake choice

cloudynights
cloudynights Posts: 351
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Im after a little help, planning on replacing my formula k18 brakes soon, now the million dollar question is what to change them for, after much thought and had a word with my lbs its down to two . Hope x2 tech and shimano xt both would be fine for my riding which is xc im thinking more down the hope line as there only 10 mins down the road from me so any problems just are not a issue but i like the look of the shimano xt more so people what do you think any thoughts and advice welcomed reason why ive come two these to is just down to what ive read and also lbs says you cant really go wrong with these two easy to repair and get parts for, though shimano seem not to have a parts list just send you a new unit
anthem x with many upgrades

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Why do you need to replace the Formula brakes? They're pretty good anchors.

Formula over Hope over Shimano for me.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • well had them for 5 years so getting a little worn now and if im honest felt time to invest in some new ones to last me another 5 years or more
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Get some more Oro's, my favorite brake of all time for XC and AM, light and powerful and very controllable.

I used to use Elixir and Mono M4 combination and I actually find the Oro's more controllable than both of them and more powerful IMO. Why didn't I go for them in the first place....

...oh yeah, because I loved Hope and the Formula's were so damn expensive until they started selling their old stock off super super cheap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Going to XT from oros would be a backward step for sure, and you need to spend a lot more to get anything from Hope that competes. There are better brakes out there but the deals on the formula store are so strong that it doens't make much sense to get anything else IMO unless you have money to burn on the absolute best.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Going to XT from oros would be a backward step for sure, and you need to spend a lot more to get anything from Hope that competes. There are better brakes out there but the deals on the formula store are so strong that it doens't make much sense to get anything else IMO unless you have money to burn on the absolute best.
    do you think a hope x2 tech brake is a upgrade on the k18, how about the formula rx brake or is it about par with a k18
  • Northwind
    Couldn't tell you about the Hope, not sure I've used that one. The RX is very similiar to the Oro, IIRC it's lighter and the set I used seemed to have slightly better fine modulation.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Couldn't tell you about the Hope, not sure I've used that one. The RX is very similiar to the Oro, IIRC it's lighter and the set I used seemed to have slightly better fine modulation.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • doesn't the Hope X2 weigh a tonne?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    doesn't the Hope X2 weigh a tonne?

Are you not thinking of the V2?
  • peter413 wrote:
    doesn't the Hope X2 weigh a tonne?

Are you not thinking of the V2?

possibly... all hope brakes look the same to me!
  • The RX brake is the replacement for the oro (you can still get get oro stuff, but they'll probably phase them out over the next few years). They are good brakes, more money will get you R1s which are very light (I think only Sram XX are lighter) and still powerful. Hopes have great modulation (delivery) of power but they are not nearly as powerful as formula offerings - but you can get them in anaodised colours which is great for blinging. XT are ok to the best of my knowledge, but I'd look at formula.

Also the X2 is average weight wise - its the V2 (downhill orientated) thats heavy.
  • Tom Barton wrote:
    The RX brake is the replacement for the oro (you can still get get oro stuff, but they'll probably phase them out over the next few years). They are good brakes, more money will get you R1s which are very light (I think only Sram XX are lighter) and still powerful. Hopes have great modulation (delivery) of power but they are not nearly as powerful as formula offerings - but you can get them in anaodised colours which is great for blinging. XT are ok to the best of my knowledge, but I'd look at formula.

Also the X2 is average weight wise - its the V2 (downhill orientated) thats heavy.

so basically your saying if i want a like for like brake with same power and modulation the rx is the one, i do like formula but local bike shop hates them (bad for parts)
  • Northwind
    i do like formula but local bike shop hates them (bad for parts)

The bits are easy to get as a punter, it's their supplier network that isn't so hot, so LBSs that aren't Formula stockists can find it hard. But you can always order what you need straight from Formula and UK Bike Store carry most of the spares too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    xt brakes are amazing so much power and modulation
  • Not sure how the RX stacks up compared to the k18 oro. But as a new brake I'd imagine they are a slight upgrade power and performance wise - people I've spoken to like the RX's alot.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Northwind wrote:
    i do like formula but local bike shop hates them (bad for parts)

The bits are easy to get as a punter, it's their supplier network that isn't so hot, so LBSs that aren't Formula stockists can find it hard. But you can always order what you need straight from Formula and UK Bike Store carry most of the spares too.

Formula parts used to be murder to get hold of through the old distributor. Now Formulas are brought into the UK by the same people that bring Race Face and E13 in. Hopefully this'll mean more dealers and a greater availability of spares.
  • nobody seems to be too keen on hope x2 then :?
  • Just my 1cents worth, I'd go with Hope as the after sales service is better than any I have had before, top bunch of chaps that seem to do their upmost to keep you on the trails. And after all being on the trails is all that matters doesn't it?
    This is why!
  • yeah i know hope cs is very good and there only 10mins down the road from me, i think may have to go down the hope path
  • Northwind
    Hope customer service is ace, but you pay for it up front.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The forum won't take another "what disk brakes thread" so I will hijack yours.
    I am in the same boat as you and thinking about new brake set.

What about the CRC 's offer for Avid ellixir cr Mag??
    I am between those and the formula oro puro at the same price.

I want my brakes to be lightweight but I don't want to give a fortune for the R1s

Any other alternatives??
  • Northwind wrote:
    Hope customer service is ace, but you pay for it up front.

well there reception is one of the biggest ive been in i dont think there price on some things is to bad i can get there x2 brakes cheaper than formula rx hope hubs are good value you do pay for what you get with hope some stuff is just silly money though
  • after a couple of hours in lbs and pros and cons of both and what there really like to use in both this country and the alps decided on some xt brakes

thanks for all the comments