Fox Antifreeze or Sealskinz Gloves ?

theshrew
theshrew Posts: 169
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Which should i get ? I want nice warm pinkys lol

Comments

• theshrew wrote:
    Which should i get ? I want nice warm pinkys lol

I can't comment on the Fox's (sic) but I have the SealSkinz All Weather Gloves. They keep my hands warm. The only downside is that they are quite bulky and my hands do occassionaly get sweaty. I just leave them in the airing cupboard overnight to dry.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm the opposite, never used the Sealskinz (though I like their kit generally). The Foxes are ace... They just won the MBR gloves test for whatever that's worth, though only because Orange don't make gloves :lol:

They're a good balanced glove. Not the warmest, though they're warmer than most- they run out of warm a bit once you get down below -5 and add in windchill, I switch to snowboarding gloves then. Not too bulky. Not totally waterproof but generally good enough. And the 2-glove thing works really well, I've often worn just the outer on warmer days, or started out with both then removed the inner. And they're well made and durable.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Sealskinz are great, UNTIL the inners come away, then you cannot get your fingers back in without a greart deal of difficultly. I have thrown away 2 pairs now, and so friend was so fustrated he tried to rip the inners out, but even then he ended up riding home with cold hands.
    I have not tried the fox's but having a removable inner sounds a great idea.
  • Ive got the fox all in all a good glove not great let down by the durability on the palm.Beware the palm goes very brittle (dry) when laundered,must be a leather which needs some sort of nourishement may be the odd bit of nikwax or the obligertary snot.
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS
  • Being the cheap arse that i am i just use my everyday gloves with a pair of latex gloves as inners and hey presto your hands stay warm and dry
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Being the cheap ars* that i am i just use my everyday gloves with a pair of latex gloves as inners and hey presto your hands stay warm and dry

That's a great idea for when it's p!ssing down during my commutes.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Being the cheap ars* that i am i just use my everyday gloves with a pair of latex gloves as inners and hey presto your hands stay warm and dry

this^

i went to get a pair of fox antifreeze gloves a couple of weeks ago but they didn't have them so i bought the sealskinz. just before i paid for the gloves the shop assistant said that he wears latex gloves underneath his normal gloves. i thought where am i gonna find latex gloves? so i bought the seal skinz.

to cut a long story short i found some latex gloves and put them under my endura strikes and i have toasty hands (even in -3 2 weeks ago) so i took the sealskinz back (even though they fit nicely and felt warm enough) i didn't use them on the bike :D
  • welshkev wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:

this^

i went to get a pair of fox antifreeze gloves a couple of weeks ago but they didn't have them so i bought the sealskinz. just before i paid for the gloves the shop assistant said that he wears latex gloves underneath his normal gloves. i thought where am i gonna find latex gloves? so i bought the seal skinz.

to cut a long story short i found some latex gloves and put them under my endura strikes and i have toasty hands (even in -3 2 weeks ago) so i took the sealskinz back (even though they fit nicely and felt warm enough) i didn't use them on the bike :D

I was getting latex gloves from ASDA about 20 pairs for £1 then my riding mate rememebered that his daughter is training to be a carer at an old peoples home so now have 5 boxes of 100 under the stairs just to see me through until she can get hold of some more 8)
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • I have a pair of gore running gloves that i use underneath my normal summer gloves and they stay warm also
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    curtic01 wrote:
    The Sealskinz are great, UNTIL the inners come away, then you cannot get your fingers back in without a greart deal of difficultly. I have thrown away 2 pairs now, and so friend was so fustrated he tried to rip the inners out, but even then he ended up riding home with cold hands.

Ah, that's one of the great unforgivable sins isn't it :lol: Mad that there's still a glove on the market that does it.
    Ive got the fox all in all a good glove not great let down by the durability on the palm.Beware the palm goes very brittle (dry) when laundered,must be a leather which needs some sort of nourishement may be the odd bit of nikwax or the obligertary snot.

It's pittards leather- I guess your detergent or softener must have done for it, mine have been washed a few times without any bother.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i have sealskinz gloves there fine fully waterproof i go out in all weathers fully windproof now as for people moaning about the innears comming out ,well yes they wil but i happen to be 42 and not a 2 year old who as yet to learn how to take gloves off, really chaps if your moaning about the liners on these gloves ask mum to teach you, rant over, if you stick a silk glove liner in as well ive been using these gloves in minus 12 conditions and have nice warm hands
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • I bought Fox Antifreeze gloves through a friend who works at Evans, after he got a pair for himself

after 2 rides, my left liner split along the outside stiching line, requiring replacement under warranty (still waiting...) I am now wearing Altura liners inside the Fox outer, the Altura are warmer than the Fox originals and 2 years old so very durable!

with my friend's gloves, his outer glove split on the right hand along the little finger stitching line after half a dozen commutes, he is also chasing warranty

Fox quality control / workmanship = poor??

performance in the cold?

not good enough in freezing conditions, we both got very cold hands wearing the Antifreeze with the Fox liners (before our glove stitching failed)

I resorted to wearing a blue Nitrile workshop gloves on top of the Altura liners inside the Fox outer, to provide a warm enough glove for commuting and off-road riding in the recent snow / cold conditions

my previous gloves - Da Kine White Knuckle were used with this same Altura liner and never required an additional layer to stay warm
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com