OTH Haldon Ride, Nr Exeter 10am 24/12/10

devbrix
devbrix Posts: 127
edited December 2010 in MTB rides
OTH will be meeting for a festive ride at Haldon at 10am 24/12/10. Should be some snow left as well. All welcome. Will meet in the car park. Drop me a line and will send contact details.
Happy Christmas!
David
All of these things....

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    will see you there looks like it could be a bit on the cold side but the cafe is open I hope lol
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    Looks as if Haldon have closed the trails
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would have been interested but I'm driving down to Devon that day so wouldn't make it for 10.

Might be up for something during the following week as I'm around for a bit before returning to civilisation.

Odd they'd close the trails, but H&S and all that I guess. I'd go ride them anyway, but I'm sure there's better riding off the official trails (that's my hope anyway after being disappointed by Haldon). Round my way we've been riding in all kinds of snow conditions, sliding about, crashing and all sorts. It's fun. No need to close trails.

P.S. Does 'OTH' imply a minimum age? :wink:
  • camerauk
    Well most of us are around 40 but does not really matter
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    That's okay then. Near enough :D (and I've got the belly and grey hair already).
  • Anonymous
    From their FB post: "Just to let you all know that unfortunately we have had to close the trails here over the last few days, although the rest of the park remains open for business.
    The heavy snow means there will be a lot of fallen and potentially dangerous branches along the trails. Without a thaw, and with more snow forecast, we are keeping the trails closed until we can properly assess the risk."

Yeah, so they're perfectly ridable. But then as we know from the "improvements" they made they're scared of getting sued so understandable. Sad really as Haldon had much potential.

And all the snowy trails I've been riding haven't had dangerous branches along them, and they aren't even managed trails!
  • devbrix
    Trails really were unridable! LOL.
    Snow was like sand and 6-8 inches deep. Gave up after about 1/2 an hour and went home.
    Will post another ride for next weekend
    Happy Christmas
    All of these things....
  • Anonymous
    May check it out during the week. Surely can't be that bad :). Is it that wet sludgy kind of snow that's refrozen, or just too deep? Stuff we had in Surrey was nice fine powder packed and a little crisp, even though off the trails it was a good 5 inches of snow.

Just needs people to ride them, else they could stay like that for ages.
  • camerauk
    was just deep you could on ride a few yards then just kept getting bogged down places under the trees were ridable but very hard going
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    +12 degrees by Wednesday by some forecasts. So should be melted by then.
  • Just to let you guys know that haldon was pretty good totay if not a bit wet. I reckon tomorrow onwards will see an end to the snow. However I would ask people what the climb on the fire road (on ridge trail) is like as you will end up walking it if its not thawed.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Anonymous
    Is the car park open?

Zero snow by the coast now. All melted virtually overnight the other night.
  • yeah carpark was open
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Cheers for the snow report, will be up tomorrow for a good, long sesh. Today's ride at Cockington/Scadson was a nightmare, just so muddy and slippery even with mud tyres (10km route took an hour!)
  • Any plans this Sunday for a new years ride? I'm finally available! My bike is fine and I'm not working!

Bucko
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • camerauk
    Sorry I am away visiting family until Sunday afternoon
    I could do a ride Monday but not sure what the rest of the OTH crew are up
    They will be along at some point to sortout a ride
    So if it's Sunday I will have to give it a miss but will be ok for the bh Monday
    Andy
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Bank holiday? I've forgotten what they are, working for the NHS forth last 7 years! I'M also free on Monday, and Tuesday for that matter

Bucko
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • Sunday 2nd is the 'Turkey Burner' event at Woodbury Common. Apart from the usual bike orienteering they have an xc course that you do as and when you turn up (2,4 or 6 laps) so if you are not used to the hustle of the start of an xc race this could be for you.

A Monday OTH ride would be good. Some people have not done the Bovey/Houndtor woods loop yet???
  • camerauk
    Sounds good to me if everyone wants to go on Monday
    Are you doing the race on Sunday Paul
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • I'd love to do the Bovey loop on Monday, count me in.
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • devbrix
    Monday sounds good to me.- are we doing the Bovey loop? I'll stick a new post on and send out an email if thats whats popular
    I'm not sure I'll be able to make Woodbury.
    All of these things....
  • camerauk
    yeah Bovey loop sounds good to me :)
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Yes am entering on Sunday. Doing 2 laps with my son in the morning then 6 myself later (as long as this chesty cold does not get any worse)
  • camerauk
    Good luck with the ride on Sunday
    will see you on Monday for the Bovey loop
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    Went up there today. Haven't done the full length of the new Ridge trail before. Putting it all together it makes for an okay XC blast. Can get some decent speed up on sections. Still lacks any technicality. The "black" towards the end is the same as it was before. A little slippy now it's wet. Definitely not a black, more a red, and the Ridge I'd say is more of blue grade, but anyway. I see the steep roll nearby is still there if you squeeze through the fence. Didn't bother with it as not sure there's much else there and involves pushing back up again.

On to part 2 and went off left of the car park doing some exploring. Different game entirely once I'd found a bunch of the unofficial trails. Loads more fun, and extremely muddy! :D

Gave the skills area a go for a laugh. Oh dear. The one bit I'd benefit from the most, the drops & jumps bit, was pathetic. The mini northshore is okay if you're learning, but could do with some progressively narrower and tighter sections and some drops for more advanced riders. The berm practice doesn't work at all, just not big enough berms and space between them to learn the footwork.
  • any chance of joining you guys some time for a ride. I'm familliar with haldon but need someone to show me around woodbury and any other good spots in the area
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • camerauk
    Yes no problem you can meet us on Monday for a ride if you like we are meeting in Bovey Tracey at 10 am near to the firestation
    Specialized Allez Sport