Fitting Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres

SCHeckled
SCHeckled Posts: 53
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Please help!!
In the process of replacing the Schwalbe Ultremo's fitted to my 2010 Cube Agree GTC Race with Michelin Krylion carbon 700x23c tyres in the hope of picking up fewer punctures.
I'm pretty new to this road bike thing so please humour my ignorance on the matter, but I always found the Ultremo's a bit of a pig to get on or off but always managed it with a couple of plastic tyre levers - the Michelins on the other hand are near on impossible, after breaking 2 plastic tyre levers I had to use a couple of spoons from the cutlery draw to finally get one on but managed to pinch the tube in the process. I'm now a bit scared that if I do finally get them on and inflated, what the hell will I do if I get a puncture 20 miles from home (probably with no spoons!).

Any help and advice gratefully received, and apologies once again for my ignorance. :)

Tim
Lapierre Zesty 714
Transition Covert 29
On One 456C
Cube agree GTC Race

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Yeah they can be a bit awkward but you get the hang of it in the end. When i first bought some krylions i had to put one tyre on 3 times as i didn't fix the inner tube properly then pinched it second time round. They do loosen up once they've been on the wheel so don't give up. A couple of hours effort and swearing is worth it in the long run. I've had mine on a year and not had a you know what yet, touch wood!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    :?

Never had any problems with mine
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    They are quite tight with some rims but should be doable without resorting to spoons. I always find it helps to roll the tyre on pulling it towards me - it really is a matter of practice and correct technique. Agree that refitting should be easier than first fitting though so if you do puncture you should be OK.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Put a bit of talc in the tyre and fully coat the inside. This will stop it sticking.

Start to put the tyre on opposite the valve.

Once you have most of the tyre on and left with the last 6 inches or so; start opposite the valve and work round the tyre both ways squeezing the bead to the centre of the rim as if trying to work the tyre round towards the valve. You should now find you can get a bit more of the tyre on. You might need to do this a couple of times to get all the tyre on. I also find that it's easier to roll the last bit of tyre on with my palms rather than trying to used my thumbs.
  • There are products to help fit tyres. Scwalbe do a liquid that evaporates, others use a smear of washing up liquid to help seat tyres.
  • As others have said they go back on easier after the initial fitment ! Mine where a pig to fit on the original Alex rims on my Giant, but fitted so easily on my handbuilts with Ambrosio rims without any need for levers or the loss of skin on my fingers like the first pair.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Stretch them first and get yourself a VAR lever which allows you to pull the bead over the rim.
    M.Rushton
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Never had any problems with Krylion carbons on any rims quite honestly ....
  • All fitted and inflated!
    Many thanks for all the helpful advice!

:D
    Lapierre Zesty 714
    Transition Covert 29
    On One 456C
    Cube agree GTC Race
  • Have a look at a video on Spa Cycles website. I know he is fitting Schwalbe Marathon tyres but the problem and solution may be the same as yours.
  • A VAR lever is a really useful tool for tight tyres.