Help with new 888 rcv 2008

jimbo-norco
jimbo-norco Posts: 333
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, Ive just bought an iron horse sunday with 2008 888 rcvs on it. I cant seem to find any help on the interweb, are they air (under the caps on the top that Im afraid to take off in case theyre not :S ) or are they sprung/oil?? how can I set them up for my weight? sorry to sound so noobish!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi, Ive just bought an iron horse sunday with 2008 888 rcvs on it. I cant seem to find any help on the interweb, are they air (under the caps on the top that Im afraid to take off in case theyre not :S ) or are they sprung/oil?? how can I set them up for my weight? sorry to sound so noobish!!

all of the above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Air is a spring and pretty much all proper forks are oil damped. Do you mean "are they air or coil sprung"?
  • Sorry what I mean Is, are there air chambers in the forks to make them a bit harder? Under the cap on the top? My old drop offs had valves on the top to put a bit of air in to make th harder. These forks seem too soft for me,
  • Anyone?? :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes. read the manual.

as already stated.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've read the manual it says about air but it doesn't say where it goes in, i don't want to pull the top caps off till I know for sure that's where they are as when I try to remove them they seem reluctant to come off!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    only the preload is air, not the actual spring, so even when you find the valves (2) your forks will still be soft.... new coil time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ok mate thanks for that!