Charge Mixer. Foot hitting front tyre problem.

berniboy
berniboy Posts: 33
edited December 2010 in Workshop
I have just bought a Charge Mixer size medium. Lovely bike, all well til I just tried riding it.
When turning at slow speed my feet catch the front tyre.
Shimano cleated shoes, Crank bros pedals. Even tried moving the cleat from under the ball of my foot towards my toes. Still clip the front tyre.

Been cycling all my life and never had this problem with any road or mountainbike I've had or ridden.

Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looking at pics of the bike online, the wheelbase looks short compared to other bikes. I get toe-overlap, as it's called, with my Tricross and mudguards.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    All my bikes are short enough that my feet overlap the front wheel by a good two inches. It's not an issue, it's totally normal.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yeah I get it with mudguards on my winter bike - agree not an issue.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Cheers chaps. Puts my mind at rest. Never had with anything else. Mainly mountain bike background, so it's a bit new to me.
    Thought I'd made a major mistake. Bike itself feels fine size wise I might add.
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    I'm only small and get toe overlap.
    My 51 .5 cm Mercian has about 2 inches . But been riding racing bikes for 25 years and always had it because of the little frames that I ride.
    I don't even think about it.

You dont say what size frame you have purchased

You can get different forks perhaps with a 45 mm rake or shorter cranks which can help but altering your cleats isn't ideal. As this will affect the way you ride.
  • Toe overlap is not unusual with small frames and steep angles. Ultimately, it is down to two things: poor frame design and too big a wheel. Mark my words: one day small size bikes will be designed around 650c wheels.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Toe overlap is not unusual with small frames and steep angles. Ultimately, it is down to two things: poor frame design and too big a wheel. Mark my words: one day small size bikes will be designed around 650c wheels.
    It's not that unusual with large frames either. I get toe overlap on my 63cm winter frame...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's relatively common - it's only really a problem when doing track stands on a fixed gear IME - you can learn to live with everything else. As for 650c wheels on small bikes - ask Dave Lloyd about that circa 1990 - he was there first and it never caught on.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • It is the steep angles of track style frames that often results in toe overlap. It can be designed out by things like incorporating a longer top tube, relaxing the head angle and increasing fork rake. But then do those things and you change the frame.

I remember Tony Rominger using a 650c climbing bike in, I think, one of his Tours.

I ride a 50cm frame and everytime I look at my bike I think to myself: "Those wheels are just too big".