Maximum inflation on carbon tubular rims?

AlanW
AlanW Posts: 291
edited December 2010 in Workshop
In general, is there one??

I know that most wheel manufacturers have them in place for clinchers rims, and it pretty obvious why!

But I was not aware that there was one for tubular rims, why should there be??

I have just bought a set of Pro-Lite carbon track wheels and enquired at my LBS about some decent tubs, EVO CS to be exact, 220psi rated. They said they it all depends on what the rim could handle???

Now I have looked on the Pro-Lite and there is no mention that there is one, but on the flip side, there is no mention that there isn't one either! I rang the UK Importer for Pro-Lite and they were not aware of one for tubular rims either.

I have looked at other makes and they do state any maximum rim pressure other than not to exceed the psi rating as detailed on the tubular.

But it would be good to find it detailed in writing someone, just for piece of mind really.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Comments

• A tubular is going to pop before a rim breaks.
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    I also mailed Pro-Lite direct last night and to be honest I wasn't an answer quite so quick!!

Alan thanks for buying our products. I have used these wheels at 200 psi no problem. The rim is designed to stand 200psi also. The important thing is to make sure you use the right tyres that can take the high pressure.

Best wishes

Steve

So at least that's put my mind at rest and I can order my tubs today. :lol:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The tubular tyre doesn't put much stress on the wheel, so go as hard as you like, but there is a diminishing return on higher pressures - they just make the ride firmer for no other benefit. Speak to the mechanics at the track for suggestions, but anything higher than 10 bar is probably overkill - but they do make a bigger 'bang' the higher you go.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The max pressure will be determined by the tyre, not the wheel. Some tubs are better than others and can take more pressure.

But you won't find many people inflating them more than 160psi - even on the track.