Hanging my bike on a wall.

mick bradbury
mick bradbury Posts: 12
edited December 2010 in Workshop
I am loath to pay £30 plus for a bracket to hang my pride and joy on the wall.
Has anyone any DIY tips.
It,s in the house so it must look good, and the bike is a sloping top tube c/fibre. [/b]

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    i've got a wall holder, folds up when not in use, can't remember where i got it, but it was similar to this one...

http://tinyurl.com/29lljon

...13.50 including delivery

there are rubbery sleeves over the arms to protect the frame, they are deep enough for two bikes, but you can cut down the arms to save space if there's just one bike

mine is in an outbuilding so the colour doesn't matter, you could paint it if necessary, it's very stable, does ok as a workstand too
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • 2x five quid right angle brackets with the foam around the arms from B&Q or any decent diy shop and 4x long heavy duty screws/wall plugs

job done
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    acidstrato wrote:
    2x five quid right angle brackets with the foam around the arms from B&Q or any decent diy shop and 4x long heavy duty screws/wall plugs

job done

Got some shelves in the garage, might mod them!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Leave it sitting on the floor.

For free.
  • Hi thanks for the advice. the purpose made bracket would be great in a workshop. I will look for a pair of attractive shelf brackets, leaving my bike on the floor is not an option, its in the way of both the dog and hoover.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    You mean you keep the dog AND the hoover in the house? :shock: won't they get in the way of the bike?
  • It ,s worse than that Brin, my beloved bike shares the house with my wife as well..........I,m all heart.

thanks jj, reckon the Halfords one will be ideal.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    It ,s worse than that Brin, my beloved bike shares the house with my wife as well..........I,m all heart.

thanks jj, reckon the Halfords one will be ideal.

Be careful. If you have any girly pink decor then the red of the Halford's bracket will clash. So a £10 bracket will result in a £300 re-decoration exercise. Just think what you can get from Chain Reaction for £300.

Why not suggest that it would be cheaper to build a bike shed in the garden.
  • Hello,

Not sure if it's any help, but I just finished this in the garage... BikeHanging.jpg

Close up... BikeHangingCloseUp.jpg

Obviously you could make it a bit neater, but you get the idea. The hook was from Wickes and holds 22kg.
  • Sorry - just seen that you wanted something nicer looking than a bracket. Oops.
  • Thanks for all the tips, and the humour.

I have not bothered with the forum before, definitely hooked... :lol:
  • 6631.jpg

I bought one of the above for less than a tenner from http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=6631

Hangs the bike vertically with the rear tyre against the wall and despite what most say, it is perfectly fine to hang deep section carbon rims from, if you are that way inclined!

RadMatt - I like your DIY option, but maybe it is time to remove the reflectors from your wheels! Assuming you're not 8 years old? :) [/url]
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way...

Ribble Gran Fondo
    Shimano 105
    CSN Superleggera XL50
    Speedplay X2
    Met SineThesis
    Sidi Ergo 2
    Garmin 705
  • Yes - good point I'd forgotton about them. They do kind of show up quite well in that pic, lol. I like to save weight where I can too :)

TBH, I bought the bike on the day all the snow came down, and haven't actually ridden it yet :shock:
  • I guessed as much but thought someone should mention it before you take her out in the new year forgetting they're on there and the whole bunch laugh you all the way home! :)
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way...

Ribble Gran Fondo
    Shimano 105
    CSN Superleggera XL50
    Speedplay X2
    Met SineThesis
    Sidi Ergo 2
    Garmin 705
  • Ahh, thanks - your concern is appreciated :lol: