New Freehub advice

mud skipper
mud skipper Posts: 24
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Need some advice.

I've got a 2010 fsr xc pro. And the freehub is playing up, When I got the bike I thought the freehub was abit noisy then recently it jammed solid then I sprayed it with brake cleaner.
Next day it was free but didn't engage done some research and someone on the forum had a similar situation but got it repaired for £60.

But last night it worked fine maybe frozen or something is this common or is the specialized freehubs not that good. Don't want to replace it if it's going to nacker up again.

I've seen a wheelset for £140 would this be better or better to save more money.
DT Swiss XR4.2/XT M756 Hubs with DT Swiss comp double butted spokes.

Just don't want to go out and the freehub packs in that's my biggest concern.

Comments

• What kind of hub is it ? Spraying it with brake cleaner won't do it any favours either.
  • Not got a clue mate can't see any writing on it. The only thing I see is specialized on the main hub body.

Sorry can't be more helpfull than that.

What should I have used to free it up other than brake cleaner cos that seems to have worked for me.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    depends what is wrong with it.

I would try and open it up.

A good penetration oil like plusgas will get inside the hub, break down all the gunk/rust and lubricate it slightly.

That would be my approach if I could not get it open (be advised it can take a couple of days to fully penetrate).

If you can get it open plusgas, wash with alcohol then relube with grease would be the best.

The hub might just be shagged though =-)

You can fit a different hub to your wheel quite easily. If you get a similar size one you may not even need new spokes.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Take the freehub off with a 10mm Allen and either clean it and repack or replace it.

Probably cost £20 or sometimes it's cheaper to buy the whole hub and strip it for the parts.

Only takes a few minutes.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"