Scott Scale Headset Confusion

daveaasmith
daveaasmith Posts: 223
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks

I've been going round and round in circles with this one, so someone please stop the roundabout as I want to get off.

My Scott Scale 30 (2008) lists as stock a 1 1/8" threadless FSA Nr.9 headset. So that's a semi-integrated, or internal headset as I understand it.

Yet the top of the headset has Cane Creek on it rather than FSA (not the top cap, but the top bearing cover) - that's my first confusion!

Anyway, I need a new bearing for the bottom as it's ground to a halt, so I'm trying to find out what I need.

The internal races are nice and tidy, so I just want a bearing - what's the best way of finding out what I need, as there's nothing stamped on the outside of the bearing?

Dave

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    If you've got somewhere local, take the bearing (cartridge?) to an LBS or even better a bearing supplier (check yellow pages). They should be able to sort you out.

The spec of bike sometimes changes slightly throughout a year, which probably explains the Cane Creek rather than FSA.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Cane Creek invented & own the patent for aheadset's, hence the FSA one having Cane Creek logos on it as well

As above take the bearing to your local bearing supplier they will be able to supply you with new ones.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg