150mm freeride forks

eoghanmurray
eoghanmurray Posts: 32
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
what would be the best 150mm travel forks for freeride? i need them for a dmr ex[alt] so the max travel is 150mm which rules out domains. my budet would be around £400.
thanks

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Secondhand Fox 36 Vans. They are 160mm but that 10mm won't make a huge difference.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    thel33ter wrote:
    Secondhand Fox 36 Vans. They are 160mm but that 10mm won't make a huge difference.

This but lower them

Or Floats if you want lighter, again, lowered
  • Lowered Lyrics.
  • i don't want to have to lower them, just 140/150mm forks that can take some abuse, i'm guessing sektors aren't built to take a pounding?
  • peter413
    Why don't you want to lower forks? If you want a tough freeride fork then you are going to have to lower a fork
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If I remember correctly, the Exalt could support up to 170mm of triple clamp forks.
    That doesn't rule out Domains, except the 180mm ones.
  • thel33ter
    Apparently it's for 150mm single crowns, or 170mm triple clamps :?
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • if it can take 170mm dc's it should be fine with 170mm sc's anyways.

160mm forks would be fine... depends what difference it makes to the angles or how much travel you want I guess.
  • something to be aware of when comparing dual-crown and single crown long travel forks

a single crown fork of 180mm (RS Totem) has the same crown-to-axle height as a dual-crown 200mm (RS Boxxer)

this is because the single crown fork requires a much bulkier fork crown (wider, heavier and taller) to provide adequate strength and stiffness, as it is only attached to the fork steerer with one interface

whereas the dual crown forks can run flatter / lighter crowns as the strength and stiffness is provided by having 2 crowns (upper and lower units) and longer stanchions fixed to both crowns providing two interfaces for the fork steerer

to answer your question, a Fox 36 in 160mm would be ideal for your DMR Ex(ALT) frame, don't worry about 10mm "travel" as a Fox 36 has the lowest crown-to-axle height of any 160mm fork and will actually be shorter than any Marzocchi fork with 150mm travel

I'd recommend the Vanilla (coil sprung) model in RC2, which should suit your needs and the style of the DMR frame, or perhaps the air sprung Float if you want easy adjustment with a shock pump
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Unfortunley those fox forks are too expensive for me :cry:
    would rockshox domains be ok on an exalt or would they void the warrantry?
    Would sektors or rev's be strong enough for dh/fr?
    Thanks for helping
  • peter413
    If your thinking Rev's or Sektors, just get a Pike, stronger (and heavier but oh well) and the same travel
  • what he said ^
  • thel33ter
    If you are considering 140mm Pikes, give these a look.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CMAG0034WW
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • would i be ok if i pt 160mm domains on it? i've seen ealts with boxxers and toems on them so i think it should be strong enough.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I'd go for a lowered lyric, or a pike at 140mm.

or a 36 van 160mm second hand.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • thel33ter
    would i be ok if i pt 160mm domains on it? i've seen ealts with boxxers and toems on them so i think it should be strong enough.

Yes.

Here's a guy running 160mm Lyriks, and on the DMR website a few people are running Domains.

21730.jpg
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think I'd rather eat my own head than buy a cheap used 36... Fox aren't always the safest used forks at the best of time and 36s tend to get hammered since that's all they're for, various models hav evarious weaknesses. They're brilliant and I'd gladly have a set if they came with a warranty, better than my Lyriks. But used, a set of coil Lyriks or Domains or similiar, or Pikes, is a safer bet IMO
    Uncompromising extremist