Wheel worn after around 500 miles?

generationgav
generationgav Posts: 3
edited January 2011 in The workshop
OK, it may be my own fault for buying cheap - but my rear tyre (Cyclocross 700c used for commuting) is down to the puncture protection layer, this is the 2nd rear wheel I've had since getting the bike (about 9 months ago) and this one was only put on around 3 months ago, done around 500 miles since then.

First of all, I know the tyre needs replacing, but how urgent is it? Am I OK riding on it until I start getting punctures or do I need to not ride it until I can get it in?

2nd of all, it might be because it's a £20 tyre (although not the cheapest) but is there any reason the tyre has gone so quickly, I'm a big guy so that won't help. I check my tyre pressure at least once a week - is there anything else I can do or anything else I need to check? Or shall I just dish out on a decent rear tyre?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buy cheap buy twice, I have put 500miles on some WTB's I bought already used and they look like they have another 500 in them, some cheap puncture resistant I passed onto my daughter are near enough shot at about 500miles (Bronx).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've had 7000 miles out of my rear marathon+ and I reckon I'll get at least another 4000 out of it until the puncture proof layer is showing. The fronts seem to last forever.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I get ~4000 miles out of my Conti GP4000S and expect to get even further out of the GP4Seasons I have on the winter bike.

However, I would not have said that £20 was especially cheap for a bike tyre. High On Bikes will do the Conti Gatorskin for only a little more than you've paid for your dead rear tyre; they are supposed to be pretty good (although I've not tried them myself).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Conti Gatorskin Ultras for me thanks. £20ish for wire bead which is all you need for commuting.

I will be trying out some Schwalbes when these give up the ghost. The last set lasted about 2500 commuting miles through Londons finest flint and glass (AKA roads). So a few more months and some new boots will be due. :wink:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    OK, it may be my own fault for buying cheap ... there any reason the tyre has gone so quickly, I'm a big guy so that won't help.

I wouldn't say you bought cheap, Schwalbe Marathon's only cost £20 and owners report having covered thousands on miles on them. I don't know if the rider's weight will cause extra wear, but if you're worried that might be a cause the Marathon Pluses are only around £5 more.
    Steve C
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Are you skidding the back wheel when you stop? Over-zealous braking will soon do it. Otherwise I would expect at least £2k miles from a cheap tyre, but Schwalbe Marathons (are you using them?) are good for a great deal more.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    alfablue wrote:
    Are you skidding the back wheel when you stop? Over-zealous braking will soon do it. Otherwise I would expect at least £2k miles from a cheap tyre, but Schwalbe Marathons (are you using them?) are good for a great deal more.

I get ~3000 miles from my £5 Vittoria Zaffiros
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    DesWeller wrote:
    I get ~4000 miles out of my Conti GP4000S and expect to get even further out of the GP4Seasons I have on the winter bike.

I consistently got 2500km ( 1500 miles ) out of GP4 Seasons and then they become puncture magnets and must be changed

They are great tyres for 2500km and then they start getting a flat every 100 miles or so
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd think you are doing something wrong - 500 miles is nothing. As someone else said - skidding or are you running the tyres too low a psi ? The rear does wear quicker so maybe swap tyres round in future ?
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    £20 is not cheap at all. £5-£8 is cheap, but no t£20. Yoiu can get Michelin Krylion Carbon for £20 and they seem to get good feedback.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are also very good - there is a weight penalty, but that penalty also applies to losing you puncture repair skills. :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Valy wrote:
    £20 is not cheap at all. £5-£8 is cheap, but no t£20. Yoiu can get Michelin Krylion Carbon for £20 and they seem to get good feedback.

And for less than a tenner you can get a puncture protected Schwalbe Delta Cruiserwhich is also good for a few thousand.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Are you running them on a turbo?
    I use my turbo exclusively for shredding retired old tyres I no longer use on the road.

If it's not that, then make sure you pump them up to the recommended pressure if you don't have a pressure gauge on your pump, that means hard enough so you can't squeeze them at all between your thumb and forefinger.

Personally I swear by Gatorskins. 4000 miles without a puncture and counting....

Let us know how you get on!
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    edited November 2010
    I don't know what tyre you're using exactly, but it may be that you're using an inappropriate tyre. It sounds like you've got a racing cyclocross tyre that you're using on the road, in which case it's not that surprising you're having premature wear as you have the wrong tread and wrong compound.

Try something more hard-wearing and appropriate, like a touring tyre. For a wider tyre like you're running my personal favourite would be a Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, but you might want to go for something a bit cheaper.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • I'm another with Marathons on my CX bike at the moment. They've done just under 1000 miles and look fresh as a daisy. I paid £30 a pair on ebay for them.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • fatherted wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

I get ~3000 miles from my £5 Vittoria Zaffiros

Vittoria Zaffiros is what I tend to use. Seem to get a decent life out of them. I ride on a range of surfaces including rough cycle tracks. I tend to get at least 4 months out of the rear tyre. I don't know how many miles that is as I never bother counting. I also carry a bag with my gear and bait for the day, on top of the rack which weighs the back down. In summary I think they are a cheap and economical tyre to use.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Harveytile wrote:
    Conti Gatorskin Ultras for me thanks. £20ish for wire bead which is all you need for commuting.

I will be trying out some Schwalbes when these give up the ghost. The last set lasted about 2500 commuting miles through Londons finest flint and glass (AKA roads). So a few more months and some new boots will be due. :wink:

+1 for gators though i am testing vittoria rubionos pros free from a ctc ember as a trial and they seem good as well , a little grippier then gators in the wet maybe.

Done maybe 2000 miles on my 1st set of gators and they look fine .
    FCN 3/5/9