Turbo Speeds

what brakes
what brakes Posts: 328
Hi All

I got a pro fluid 2 turbo for xmas and have used it twice now. First time was with the dvd they include and the Sufferfest Fight Club.

My average speed is roughly 15.5mph avg!!!! When im out on the road on a normal route i average 18-20mph depending on how hilly it is and what distance i do! (bearing in mind ive not been doing much cycling over past 2 months)

Do you guys find that your average speed is lower on the turbo than in real life?

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    my taxc wahtever it is has my average really low. if you're bothered what it says loosen the roller at the back a bit so there's less resistance.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I'm not fussed about the speed on the Turbo as I know on the road it alot quicker! And lets face it that's where it matters..... lol

Just interested if it was just me or it was the same for everyone.

I had loosened the weight from wheel but it started slipping.
  • Isn't the Sufferfest DVD all about intervals? In which case average speed is going to be pretty meaningless. If you did those exercises on the road with the same intensity, you'd probably find your average was way down there as well.

(FWIW, I just got an Elite Crono Mag turbo, and find it easy to keep up a much higher average than I can do on the road - as long as you're only counting sustained efforts at a particular gear & cadence. On the road, if you're using hills as intervals, your average is going to be much higher than doing sprint intervals on a turbo because you're rolling down a hill at speed between each effort, instead of the gentle spinning you'd do on the turbo between sprints)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Don't take notice of average speeds on turbos there is no point at all. I'd go by HR, at the end of the day once you've done yer session and you feel like you've worked hard that's all that matters.

When I go on the turbo my average speed is around 23-25mph but on the road it's around 18-20.
  • My heartrate average is similar to that of on the road! (160ish) So like you say say that's what matters, oh and yeah I do feel like I've worked! Lol
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've had turbo sessions where I was averaging 40MPH (for over an hour). So..... just shows it means absolutely nothing.
  • freehub
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've had turbo sessions where I was averaging 40MPH (for over an hour). So..... just shows it means absolutely nothing.

Is that from a sensor on the wheel? Cause that'd mean the resistance is well low, like as low as rollers.
  • Hi All

I got a pro fluid 2 turbo for xmas and have used it twice now. First time was with the dvd they include and the Sufferfest Fight Club.

My average speed is roughly 15.5mph avg!!!! When im out on the road on a normal route i average 18-20mph depending on how hilly it is and what distance i do! (bearing in mind ive not been doing much cycling over past 2 months)

Do you guys find that your average speed is lower on the turbo than in real life?
    Speed/distance is meaningless* on an indoor trainer.

Focus on intensity (effort level) and duration. That's what matters.

* only time speed has some use on a trainer is when it's being used as a relative indicator of intensity, although even then it's not all that reliable on most trainers.
  • Kool looks like i dont need to worry!

I shall use the avg speed, distance, heartrate as a rough log/guide to see if im improving over time.
  • Avg speed on fluid 2 is about 16mph and rollers can be 29mph, it means nothing as i`ll never average 29 on the road.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    I've cycled for many hours on my turbo but have never managed to go faster than 0 mph
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    freehub wrote:
    Don't take notice of average speeds on turbos there is no point at all. I'd go by HR, at the end of the day once you've done yer session and you feel like you've worked hard that's all that matters.

When I go on the turbo my average speed is around 23-25mph but on the road it's around 18-20.
    freehub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Is that from a sensor on the wheel? Cause that'd mean the resistance is well low, like as low as rollers.

Seems that yours is set a bit low as well Will!

I tend to average around the same as I average on the road (28-30k), but as Alex said, it's kinda meaningless really. I use my HR, speed and cadence to judge my effort level, when I get a power meter that will take precedence over everything else.
  • lemoncurd wrote:
    I've cycled for many hours on my turbo but have never managed to go faster than 0 mph
    :lol:
  • kenniff
    kenniff Posts: 207
    lemoncurd wrote:

If i do any speed at all i will shoot through my patio doors lol

Excellent........
    Easy life
  • freehub
    jonmack wrote:
    freehub wrote:

freehub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Seems that yours is set a bit low as well Will!

I tend to average around the same as I average on the road (28-30k), but as Alex said, it's kinda meaningless really. I use my HR, speed and cadence to judge my effort level, when I get a power meter that will take precedence over everything else.

Nah the one I use ain't set abit low, I go on what is called a computrainer that measures wattage and simulated gradients and all that and alters the load itself.
  • freehub wrote:
    Nah the one I use ain't set abit low, I go on what is called a computrainer that measures wattage and simulated gradients and all that and alters the load itself.
    Depending on what mode you use the CT in, it can be reasonably realistic speed wise (e.g. in multirider TT mode if you enter the variables correctly) but in erg or MR coaching mode then the load generator holds you to the programmed power level, irrespective of the wheel speed (gear chosen).
  • I've got the CycleOps Supermagneto Pro and on the road setting it's almost spot on for speed with the power you put down. It's just easier to maintain a slightly higher average because you don't have to worry about all the ups and downs of the real road.

Pokerface, you really should crank up the resistance and use your gears instead if you're doing 40mph workouts on the turbo. I used to do the same on my old Tacx, it's not good for the tyres and it makes a racket too. I'm sure my old neighbours used to worry about all the jet engine testing going on in my bedroom! Also once you get the flywheel spun up that fast it's really easy to keep it spinning with very little effort, much better to do it at low speed/high intensity because your legs are always working and momentum isn't doing most of the work for you