leaving rear shock locked out

john_smith
john_smith Posts: 85
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
i have just got a new full suss xc bike after many years on a hard tail. it has a dt swiss m210 rear shock with a lock out feature. just what was looking for in that i can hit lock out when going uphill and keep it moving without feeling it bounce and losing efficiency. then on rough sections or descents can take the lock out off and got a lovely bit of rear travel.
however wandered if any risk of damage leaving the lockout engaged even on rougher terrain/singletrack. i.e. will it do any damage to leave it engaged when on fast technical descents with small drop offs etc. some of trails round me are quite fast and have flat areas where need pedaling to keep speed up. they are well suited to a hard tail and just wandered if i can leave my full suss on lockout majority of the time or if it risks damaging the suspension unit/bike.
if not good to leave on lockout on technical stuff what about things like fire roads where might be pedalling to keep speed 50kmph+ but still quite rough terrain on the wheels and bit of jolting going on the bike.
can it handle lockout on any of above or should it always be left with lockout unengaged unless riding up steep hills?

Comments

• i'd hope there was a blow off valve so the shock unlocks itself under load. there seems to be feck all info in the dt site though.

you can get a bar mounted lock out remote for this shock btw... might make it easier to use?
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Accesso ... Control-(1).aspx
  • A very bad idea.

The frame is designed to have the suspension there. If it isn't, you may bend or break something. It will almost certainly void the warranty in any case.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Id really try to avoid it, even if it has a blowoff valve it wont prevent damage, and for the sake of a few seconds you may as well turn it off.

This is why i love propedal.
  • I was wondering the same as I'm looking to replace my fox shock on my giant anthem for one with a lockout. Just to clarify should the lockout only realy be used on a smooth surface?
    Thanks
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I was wondering the same as I'm looking to replace my fox shock on my giant anthem for one with a lockout. Just to clarify should the lockout only realy be used on a smooth surface?
    Thanks
    Only use it in situations where youre standing up and need to eliminate bob, so climbs. Therefore that eliminates any fast riding, if you stick to that you'll be fine. No need to use it on fast techy stuff!!