first time buyer

d15unk
d15unk Posts: 11
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi, am looks to get in to mountaiin biking & am looking for some adive on buying a hardtrail? I have in the region of £1000 to spend, but would like to buy something thats going to last.
I will be doing a bit of all round riding, because where in live is in angus in scotland near the glens & i'll be riding about the glens & tracks around there.
Any information or help would be grateful.

I am think of buying a boardman HT Pro, is that a good idea? valuve for money?

Comments

• My most recent experience in a Halfords nearly ended in tears for me, so for that I would say if at all possible avoid the Boardman (never ridden it so I can’t say it’s a bad bike, just a bad “bike” shop). If you want an all rounder HT look into the Ragley’s. I have the Mmmbop since last Xmas. I have taken it all over Europe and the US, I have never had any problems with it. Takes a beating and I have it built up rather light.

You get the frame and build it to your own liking. That way it's one of a kind :D
    The death of the bike begins with its start
    The most efficient machine on the plant
    Often referred to as the noblest invention

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2
  • d15unk
    thank's for the advice, I sometimes wonder home folk in halfords get a job there....... some of then no very lettle about anything & can be unhelpful......lol

I don't think i know enough about bikes to build my own?
    Would it be an idea to look at bikes i like within my price range & takes bits of ifs speak & built that way or is there better ways? how much would i cost for me to build a good bike like yours?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    You can get some 2010 Specialized stumpjumper HTs for about £1k now, good frame with lifetime warranty. Maybe worth a look.
  • You can get your LBS to build it for you, that’s what I did anyway. I'd burn the house down if I built it! Not too sure at all what it would cost in the UK but I paid about €1350ish for the full build. I would say it’s a LOT cheaper in the UK for such a build. I got my ideas for the spec from different MTB mags and websites, looking at the different bikes on the market and just making it my own. Best thing to do IMO. BUT everyone is different! If you have time go talk to the guys in your local bike shop, they can be a BIG help!

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2
  • d15unk
    I'll look into it thanx. Could you forward me your bike spec if you know it, that would be a good starting point if i know what sort of money to build a decent bike, i think 1350 euros would like in the region of £1100 or so.
  • I'll get the spec along with a few photos of it up in the morning

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Here we go again... Not all Halfords stores are the same, the same way not all LBSs are the same. Some are utter crap. The Boardman Pro is the best value 1k HT XC bike on the market.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    Here we go again... Not all Halfords stores are the same, the same way not all LBSs are the same. Some are utter crap. The Boardman Pro is the best value 1k HT XC bike on the market.

You must get really bored sometimes. Like Groundhog Day.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    FWIW if you catch the right person (ME) at the right halfords you will have a better experience than with alot of the local bike shops in my area at least.
  • Stuy-b wrote:
    FWIW if you catch the right person (ME) at the right halfords you will have a better experience than with alot of the local bike shops in my area at least.
    if only we knew what area he was from eh?

nevermind. :roll:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    supersonic wrote:

Or you can look at Cube and On-one. Both of those offer great value and spec bike at a bargain price
  • Didn't get the chance to get a new pic today, but heres the spec anyway:
    Full SLX gearing
    XTR breaks
    XT wheel set (only a week old)
    Shimano DX clip pedals
    Race Face Evo AM bars + AM Evo stem
    Rock Shox 140mm Recon 315

Thats what I'm running. Hope it helps

Ragley Mmmbop