home theatre set up - dolby digital?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited January 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Right o, last year I asked the forum if I should build a my own PVR and develop a home theatre sytem around it. After much advice... I did! Though I went over kill and turned it into a games machine needing two massive fans to keep a tornado turning inside. In the end I never used it because it was err.... a noisy bugger. So I'm doing it again, with a small microstation that will not be used for intensive processes. My laptop deals adequatly with tomb raider 2 8)

I have figured that's there's no avoiding an AVR if you have more than a few things to output through the same set of speakers. I'm watching an old Yamaha DSPA590 on fleabay but it does not have Dolby Digital. How will this affect me? I thought the DVD player, computer/PVR and playstation did all the decoding and outputted a wave to the amp. Is this right? Or am I going to find I've some kind of telegram being communicated to me during Gran Tourismo /Tourino...

Comments

• bluechair84
    Oh and, Merry Christmas to the Forum! Hope you all got something anodised.[/list]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the player etc has multi analogue outs then any multichannel amp will do as the decoding will happen at the player. then manual speaker set up and any lag issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    Great, so as long as I'm using analogue connections I'll be fine. Then update the AVR to something more modern if I start to use HDMIs.
    Have I seen on here before Nick, that you have a beefy system? Any recomendations as to a 5.1 speaker kit to look out for?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    For value, the sony DAV-DZ330 is a bargain. I have the older version, and it is room shakingly powerfull, yet the sound quality is exellent. Just check out all the 5 star reviews:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DAVDZ330-Cinema-System-Playback/dp/B003G0S1AM/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you using surround? I have my media centre PC as my freeview box, and my DVD and music player, and an Xbox 360 and PS2. all of them go into an old Pioneer HiFi amp just fine.
    Switch sources on the amp, no problem.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Are you using surround? I have my media centre PC as my freeview box, and my DVD and music player, and an Xbox 360 and PS2. all of them go into an old Pioneer HiFi amp just fine.

You still bother with that outdated lame old console!?

You're proabably better off just getting rid of it and just keeping the PS2 on its own.
  • slightly different question..

what is the best position for a subwoofer in a square room?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    under the sofa.
  • that'd tickle to much!
  • sheepsteeth
    it will if you get rid of the cushion and sit directly on the springs.
  • Anonymous
    slightly different question..

Corner, always the corner.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    slightly different question..

Corner, always the corner.

Not in a round room....
  • really?
    Pointing into the room then I guess, not along the wall?

Problem I have in my flat is I have a square from room. The TV and sofa are over 1 side and the sub bounces off the walls immediately, causing the base to be really really really loud :(

I've had the sub turned down as far as it will go. Watching band of brothers - as soon as there is an explosion or a good fight scene I have to turn the sound down because the sub is overpowering!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Check the manual-mine gave a guide on the best placement. Mine is in the corner behind the tv. It should have at least 2 cm space each side-it shouldnt be touching the wall.
  • sheepsteeth
    leaflite wrote:
    Check the manual-mine gave a guide on the best placement. Mine is in the corner behind the tv. It should have at least 2 cm space each side-it shouldnt be touching the wall.

mine says something similar in the manual but it does give the option to put it under your sofa or bed.
  • bluechair84

This is exactly what I'm doing. Even down to the quality PS2. I won't go for full surround as our place is a bit small at the moment so just need to find a descent pair for mid and treble, then a sub. I'm also adding a Belkin bluetooth receiver so I can play music from phone (which is also my mp3 player) or laptop if I'm watching something on that.

Yee; what spec is your freeview PC? I've seen something minute that would be perfect but I haven't checked out the spec closely and seen what power would be adequate for simple PVR duties...
  • bluechair84
    Watching band of brothers - as soon as there is an explosion or a good fight scene I have to turn the sound down because the sub is overpowering!

Just bought a BoB boxset for the misses and I to share in, so it'll be the first test of the AVR and speakers 8)
  • Watching band of brothers - as soon as there is an explosion or a good fight scene I have to turn the sound down because the sub is overpowering!

Just bought a BoB boxset for the misses and I to share in, so it'll be the first test of the AVR and speakers 8)

Its epic :D

oddly, the best 5.1 surround film i've watched was Juno!
  • bluechair84
    Watching band of brothers - as soon as there is an explosion or a good fight scene I have to turn the sound down because the sub is overpowering!

You're kdding :shock: We've got the soundtrack to that which is pretty ace but 5.1? I'll put it on one day when I've got the full system and test your theory. It will be compared directly with The Matrix though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bluechair84

back to your question. how much do you want to spend on the speakers?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    Sister thread asking about how best to build multimedia systems into your wireless network.

Nick - I've an initial budget of about £400 - £60 for a second hand AVR I have seen, £130 for a small PC which I have again got my eye on, Possibly around £200 for 2.1 speakers though I'd rather go second hand to get the best for my money.
  • Anonymous
    Yee; what spec is your freeview PC? I've seen something minute that would be perfect but I haven't checked out the spec closely and seen what power would be adequate for simple PVR duties...
    Mine's a bit of a monster, since it is also my studio and gaming PC. It's fairly quiet though due to enormous heatsinks and slow speed fans.

Subs, well, a proper sub, are omnidirectional, so it doesn't matter which way they face. Generally it's best to stick them in the corner. For a stereo setup though, in critical listening environments, you want it to be equidistant from the two full range stereo speakers so that there's no timing differences between the main speakers and the sub.
  • bluechair84
    I think the PC will spend much of it's life on, streaming media and communicating with the laptops so I;m selling a fairly descent desktop to get a small and discrete micro thingy. The only thing I'm not sure on now then is what stereo speakers to pick up. I'll be researching and... ebaying...
  • Anonymous
    I think the PC will spend much of it's life on, streaming media and communicating with the laptops so I;m selling a fairly descent desktop to get a small and discrete micro thingy. The only thing I'm not sure on now then is what stereo speakers to pick up. I'll be researching and... ebaying...
    mine is always on, or in sleep mode. I have the BIOS set to auto-boot the PC if the power fails, so if there's a power cut, it will come back on as soon as it can.
    It wakes up to record something, then goes to sleep again a few minutes after it's finished recording. It's ace. Got a "proper" remote control for it too. And dual tuners, of course.
  • bluechair84
    mine is always on, or in sleep mode. I have the BIOS set to auto-boot the PC if the power fails, so if there's a power cut, it will come back on as soon as it can.
    It wakes up to record something, then goes to sleep again a few minutes after it's finished recording. It's ace. Got a "proper" remote control for it too. And dual tuners, of course.

Definatley. I won't spend extra on Sky... recording when something descent is on is a must so I don't end up flicking through garbage! I'll have to look into setting up the bios; I didn't know you could do that.
    On to AVRs - got my eye on this Denon. Denon are good right?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have a Yamaha DSP E492 which is basically a 3 channel amp with 6 channel input and throughput for a stereo amp and sub. My DVD player outputs 5.1 via 6 phonos.

Works great as the Cyrus amp I have powers the front speakers and allows me to listen to CD at high quality. Many all in one systems are pretty dire in this respect with CD playback, and even 6 channel Dolby amps will not get the sound reproduction of a dedicated HiFi amp.

Also plug my TV into the Yamaha - has a few DSP modes, so can get Pro Logig surround from many TV broadcasts.
  • Watching band of brothers - as soon as there is an explosion or a good fight scene I have to turn the sound down because the sub is overpowering!

You're kdding :shock: We've got the soundtrack to that which is pretty ace but 5.1? I'll put it on one day when I've got the full system and test your theory. It will be compared directly with The Matrix though.

yep... its very very subtle. completely different to action movies, I likes it a lot :)
  • bluechair84
    Well, the OH has reminded me that out house is currently tiny... and the TV lives on the fridge. So... err... 5.1 is a bit overkill... I might of gotten a little carried away admitedly, so now it's being toned down to just stereo speakers driven from an amp. Just looking for a descent set of second hand monitors now.
    No Juno glory for me until the next pad.
  • Anonymous
    Studio monitors, or computer monitors?
    What's your budget?