Descending faster

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,892
As a titch going downhill quickly isn't a natural thing, but I'd like to do so better than I currently do as it's disheartening seeing all the people you pass on the way up zooming past on the way down.

Any tips on how to descend better? Is it something you can train for?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Gain a lot of weight. That worked for me. :oops:
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Pointless advice since I'm advising buying a sledge hammer to crack a peanut but...

Buy a motor bike.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    There was a link on here recently, think it was one of the Marmotte threads with some great advice on cornering techniques on fast descents. Worth having a trawl for it
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    The thing is I felt like I was going much better downhill until I did the Maratona last year, and going downhill quickly when surrounded by hundreds of crazy Italians is another thing entirely to going down on your own. Kinda lost my nerve and just got down safely until numbers thinned out a bit.
  • I think there is soem descending tips on Flamme rouge excellent pages - Google adress as I don't have it to hand!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I doubt weight is a limiting factor for your descending speed. More likely skill (and then aero).

These are some good tips:
    http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/descend.htm
    Rich
  • RichA wrote:
    I doubt weight is a limiting factor for your descending speed. More likely skill (and then aero).

Sounds more like "nerve" and confidence from what the OP has said.

Practice on your own and build up confidence. Focus out as far as you can and focus on the gaps rather than the obstructions. Experiment with grip in "safer" circumstances so you have some sense of what you have "under" you. If you are small, you should have an aero advantage from a simple "frontal area" point of view.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Go even faster uphill so you are so far ahead of the slow climbers they don't catch you up on the other side. This seems to work in the TdF, or the whippets would be last every time!