Campognolo Record 1" Threaded Headset... What size nuts

Stan Dingup
Stan Dingup Posts: 40
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

Just ordered a Campagnolo Record 1" Threaded Headset and want to order the spanners so I can fit/adjust the thing once it arrives?

One like this...
BPC309419.jpg

Can anyone let me know what size headset spanner I need?

Thanks folks...

Stan

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Standard headset spanners are 32mm, although Park also do a 30/32 - you only need one as you can use a regular adjustable spanner for the top nut
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi Monty,

When you say standard size is 32 do you know if that applies to this particular headset?

Browsing about the interweb brings back 30, 32, 34, 36, 38 and 40 options....?

I'm presuming the larger sizes are for 1 1/8 threaded headsets but I know how frustrated I'll be when I come to fit it if I find I've got the wrong tools!!

Cheers ....
  • I have a Chorus headset on one of my bikes. As with all the other 1" threaded headsets I have had over the years it takes a standard 32mm headset spanner.
  • Appreciate the help guys. If general consensus is 32 then 32 it is.

Really appreciate the help....

Stan
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    32mm on 1" headset
    36mm on 1 1/8" headset
    40mm on 1 1/4" headset usually.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Dragging up an old post lads, I'm restoring a couple of Geoffrey Butler frames and I see some headsets advertised as Italian thread, I thought that only applied to BB's, can anyone advise?

Thanks.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Courtesy of Sheldon Brown.
    Italian freewheel and headset threads are the same as British/ISO, except for the thread angle difference. They may be interchanged, but you should not go back-and-forth between Italian and British/ISO headsets. Italian freewheels are basically extinct, so the issue is moot there. Italian-size handlebars/stems generally use a clamping diameter of 26 mm. Many high-end aftermarket drop handlebars and "road" stems also use this size even if not Italian-made.

ISO 1" x 24 tpi headset thread
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Velonutter wrote:
    Dragging up an old post lads, I'm restoring a couple of Geoffrey Butler frames and I see some headsets advertised as Italian thread, I thought that only applied to BB's, can anyone advise?

Thanks.

You'll only find Italian threads on Italian-built frames IME - as your GBs are built in Croydon, I don't think you'll have any worries
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Thanks.

You'll only find Italian threads on Italian-built frames IME - as your GBs are built in Croydon, I don't think you'll have any worries

Thanks Monty, I didn't think the threads would be Italian, I was more worried about buying a secondhand record headset with the wrong thread