Help regarding reassembling my chainrings

thecremeegg
thecremeegg Posts: 284
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I took my chainrings apart to clean and fit a bash, but I stupidly didnt note which way round they should go. If there anyway I can tell? Should the teeth curve a certain way? Its only a basic shimano alivio set if that helps.

Cheers

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    On chainrings that have a 'curve' to the teeth, these will point forwards, or in the direction that the chainset turns when you're pedalling.

There are a couple of other things that should help you put the middle ring the correct way round. The writing on the chainrings will face outwards, i.e. words like Shimano, or 32T etc..Also, the chainring bolt should only fit into the chainring bolt recess in one direction. By this, I mean the non-allen key bolt - this should sit flush into the chainring, facing inwards. There may also be some chromed steel chain guides to help shifting - these will face inwards.

You'll also see an arrow or some sort of notch that is to be aligned with the crank arm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look at where the bolts go. they are recessed and show you which way. also the bump lines up with the crank arm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks guys, I'll give it a look