quiet wheels

ytteb
ytteb Posts: 6
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
I would like a decent road wheel that is quiet. Quiet as in no or little clicking. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Comments

• furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Cheap wheels? Aksium's are good for that. Could be worth getting an opinion of Ksyriums or SRAM s27's?
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    not a real solution but you can keep pedaling.
  • I've never had clicking wheels, perhaps something is touching or loose
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Wheels click because the spokes are unwinding after the wheel has been made and not properly de-stressed.
    I don't know how the builders do it but what I have done in the past is with a tyre on bash it on the ground at an angle. Or, put the rim on three blocks so the axle is off the ground and then somehow put pressure on the axle.
    The idea is to reduce the tension on the spoke nipples so they are allowed to move.
    I always do this after building a wheel and in one case where I bought a pair of wheels from a 'good' builder I had to de-stress them and they where bl..dy useless afterwards.
    So, make sure you have a spoke key handy. :)

...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    edited December 2010
    cyco2 wrote:
    Wheels click because the spokes are unwinding after the wheel has been made and not properly de-stressed.
    I don't know how the builders do it but what I have done in the past is with a tyre on bash it on the ground at an angle. Or, put the rim on three blocks so the axle is off the ground and then somehow put pressure on the axle.
    The idea is to reduce the tension on the spoke nipples so they are allowed to move.
    I always do this after building a wheel and in one case where I bought a pair of wheels from a 'good' builder I had to de-stress them and they where bl..dy useless afterwards.
    So, make sure you have a spoke key handy
    That is "relieving spoke twist" and there is no good way of doing it, apart from building the wheel well in the first place without residually twisted spokes. In the past, misguided wheelbuilders have conducted all kinds of voodoo in response to it: bending the wheel in a partially open drawer, walking over the spokes in socks... etc.

"Stress-relieving" is a different procedure, and is best done by squeezing pairs of spokes together hard (after understanding what you're doing and why). The procedures you describe could result in a destroyed rim.

In any case, I think the OP is referring to the ratchet pawls in the freewheel, which depending on the design are anywhere between silent and very noisy. There is no need for the noise, as Shimano have shown with their well-proven and superior design. The agricultural-sounding ones are popular, however (I guess, because they advertise an expensive purchase loudly).
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    If you're fed up with having a loud freehub then put more grease in it, that'll make it quiet.

Personally I like the sound of my Zipp 404's on my road bike, and my Chris King hub on my trials bike, but maybe that's because they "advertise an expensive purchase loudly".
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    jonmack wrote:
    "advertise an expensive purchase loudly".

Not worth feeding the troll buddy

Hope the rest of your bike matches the quality of your wheels though - sweet :wink:
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    kfinlay wrote:

Not worth feeding the troll buddy
    !!!

I've never been called a troll before. Does that mean I've lost my internet L plates?!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think the OP is talking freehub noise, not unwinding spokes. In which case Shimano hubs are usually very quiet.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    OP is on about the pawls....

Shimano are quiet in comparison to Campag.

Best, if you can, going look at a few if you want quiet hubs.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    My R-sys premium rear wheel is extremely quiet - much more so than the dura-ace - both Shimano fit.

Peter