forget your 29er get a 96er

Lapierre t 400
Lapierre t 400 Posts: 654
edited January 2011 in MTB general
For those of you that would like a change from 29ers,Jenson usa has bought out 96ers
you can now buy a bike frame that is designed to take a 29"front wheel and a 26"rear wheel.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... Frame.aspx
I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.

Comments

• Hasn't this set up been being used for a while now by certain people? I have certainly read about people using 29 up front and 26 rear on a standard frame.

Obviously this is a specific frame for the cause, so guessing the geometry is better suited etc... which seems like quite a decent idea.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    26/24 was used over 10 years ago on a Spesh DH rig, I think it was a Big Hit?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Carver started making those in 2006, hardly new.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    They also make a Killer B with 650 wheels
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Trek make (made?) one. Hardly niche!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • cooldad
    Trek did around the same time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    And Moots have been making a few hardtails avaliable in 96er, as well as a full sus one too.

moots1.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    a bit nuts, and a compromise of both.... but it does sound like quite an interesting idea... would love a go on one... it's a bit like a long forked HT without all the bad points of a long forked HT, like excessive brake dive, and hugely changing head angles under fork compression.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aye, Trek have had the 69ers for ages, there's even a 69er Enduro race team, Shaggy, Matt Carr etc
  • don't really get that tbh, this hype about 29ers etc go out and get a lovely CX bike i say...
  • didn't realise they where old news,I had never seen them before
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • joshtp wrote:
    a bit nuts, and a compromise of both.... but it does sound like quite an interesting idea... would love a go on one... it's a bit like a long forked HT without all the bad points of a long forked HT, like excessive brake dive, and hugely changing head angles under fork compression.

Apart from the fact that it's only as fast as the slowest wheel. I.E. The small, unsuspended rear wheel.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think I'd design it the other way round lol, larger rear wheel, small front with the fork.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    If nothing else, carrying around two sizes of tube would annoy me.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're going to have different sized wheels, at least do it properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXlAUcmPNw
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    deadkenny wrote:
    If you're going to have different sized wheels, at least do it properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXlAUcmPNw
    Sick skillz dude!
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • didn't realise they where old news,I had never seen them before

Seen the first in the flesh at Cannock Chase earlier this year, it did have forks up front though.
    The owner of the bike said that the 29" front end made a remarkable difference and it was the best way to see if he got on with a 29'er before investing in a new [29] frame. However he got on so well with the 29/26 combo he decided to keep the bike
  • supersonic wrote:
    I think I'd design it the other way round lol, larger rear wheel, small front with the fork.

I've often though that, but I'd miss the front wheel traction of the 29 inch wheel. I haven't ridden one so I can't comment. I think a 26 rear with 29 rigid front would be a great way of making a light affordable mountain bike that's more capable than a cheap hardtail with a shitty fork
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

• supersonic wrote:

I've often though that, but I'd miss the front wheel traction of the 29 inch wheel. I haven't ridden one so I can't comment. I think a 26 rear with 29 rigid front would be a great way of making a light affordable mountain bike that's more capable than a cheap hardtail with a shitty fork
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96