Richmond Park ridable?

haggisinlondon
haggisinlondon Posts: 171
Morning, got two days off work and with the Surrey roads still looking pretty icy and lots of snow I was wondering if anyone knew what Richmond park was like at the moment. Only got a road bike so no Cross tyres or anything like that.

thanks

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Kingston to Roehampton via Robin Hood is still closed and covered in snow. Kingston to Roehampton via Richmond is clear and ridable so you could to some rides in it for sure. I saw a TTer out training this morning.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    I though Richmond Park has a speed limit, so you won't get much quality training in there.
  • jibberjim
    Chiggy wrote:
    I though Richmond Park has a speed limit, so you won't get much quality training in there.

It does, it's also hilly enough that it's pretty difficult to go above the speed limit.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    It does, it's also hilly enough that it's pretty difficult to go above the speed limit.

Er, except on the downhill bits :?
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    G-Wiz wrote:

Er, except on the downhill bits :?

The headwind usually deals with that, very hard around RP
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    The bit I always end up getting held up by traffic on even on light traffic times is the Richmond Gate - Ham Gate bit going anti-clockwise.

The rest of it's OK and it's the rush hour traffic that will hold you back more than the speed limits. That said I'm not that quick, I've yet to break the hour on 3 laps.

Do they actually pull cyclists over for speeding in there? I've heard of a few irresponsible group rides getting a telling off, but never individuals.
  • jibberjim
    G-Wiz wrote:
    Do they actually pull cyclists over for speeding in there? I've heard of a few irresponsible group rides getting a telling off, but never individuals.

Yep, remember there are very few places with speed limits for cyclists but that is one of them and they do ticket you. They've even been known to sit there with their speed guns at the bottom of the steep hill, but they didn't pull me over at ~25mph (ie I wasn't braking hard to stay below 20 but neither was I pedalling hard or even in a tuck to stay fast)
  • bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    jibberjim wrote:
    G-Wiz wrote:

Yep, remember there are very few places with speed limits for cyclists but that is one of them and they do ticket you. They've even been known to sit there with their speed guns at the bottom of the steep hill, but they didn't pull me over at ~25mph (ie I wasn't braking hard to stay below 20 but neither was I pedalling hard or even in a tuck to stay fast)

I wonder how can that work? I mean as cyclist you are not required to have a speedometer, neither are the speedometers officially calibrated. It's kind of a joke, you have to obey a speed limit not knowing how fast you are. I certainly wouldn't pay any fine.
  • jibberjim
    bcss wrote:
    I wonder how can that work? I mean as cyclist you are not required to have a speedometer, neither are the speedometers officially calibrated. It's kind of a joke, you have to obey a speed limit not knowing how fast you are. I certainly wouldn't pay any fine.

Many cars don't have to have a speedometer either - and you don't have to have a working one in cars.

You either ride slow enough that it's not an issue, or you get an accurate speed device.
  • anyone ridden round yesterday or today? thinking of heading up later hoping there is no ice?