Cycling Personality of the Year Award

dulldave
dulldave Posts: 949
edited December 2010 in Pro race
If you were to award a Cycling Personality of the Year award for any rider in the world, who would it go to?

Set your own criteria and then tell me who wins. Or the other way round if you prefer.

My criteria are success and personality. And the winner is .........(annoying 15 sec delay)

Emma Pooley.

She won heaps of stuff including British champs and TT worlds. And she showed great personality in every interview I've ever heard her give.
Scottish and British...and a bit French

Comments

• Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Yeah....cant argue with Pooley really.

Gilbert would be close for me though, and Cadel Evans too....

For a domestic rider, I'd go for Simon Richarson of Sigma Sport-I met him before the start of the Stoke stage of the ToB and he was one of the most pleasant blokes I've met :D
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Good post Dave.

With you all the way with Emma but I'm going to be cheeky and put a bloke up as well and it's.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Porte

Once again success and personality. :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Pooley for me as well, great performances and despite her build she is more than just a climber. Of the male riders I would go with Cancellara just for his utter dominance in the spring.
  • Is this based on results or personality?

Unless you have met them (like with Simon Richardson above) you don't know their personality which will make it a short thread so I guess it will be on results and then an argument from some who claim womens cycling results are on an equal footing as mens :D

Cav should win on both counts, really nice guy and better results than most.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Is this based on results or personality?

The OP says make your own criteria, my selections were based on performance. I don't know any of them to comment on their personality other than based on a few interviews but at a guess I would say Boonen has a good personality, I'd certainly rather go for a night on the town with him than the others :lol:
  • Fair comment,

Still Cav by a mile.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Evans for me.

Best display of the rainbow jersey in yonks and won the most memorable stage of a grand tour (stage 7 Giro) in a long long time...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Me.

Obviously.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    For me it's Andy Schleck. Nothing to do with results - I'm basing it purely on the fact that he once took down a bear with a single punch.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    +1 for Andy Schleck.

He's ultra cool. Took the Contador-attack-when chain-fell-off-thing very well. Composed. Quality style. Remember when he stared-out Contador when AC kept attacking him up Ventoux??

"I've got to look somewhere," Schleck joked, rejecting a suggestion that the stare had been one of disgust at Contador's tactics. "I looked him in the eyes and I saw he was hurting, too, which gave me confidence."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ju ... e-stage-17

Awesome! The guy is drama.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Fair comment,

Still Cav by a mile.

This. Fo' shizzle!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    +1 NapD, Evans has worn the stripes with pride.
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    AidanR wrote:
    For me it's Andy Schleck. Nothing to do with results - I'm basing it purely on the fact that he once took down a bear with a single punch.

Did it look like this?

39622-huggable-teddy-bear.jpg
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Another vote for Emma Pooley.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Using the BBC SPOTY categories:

Personality of the Year: Mark Cavendish (nominees: Pooley and Millar)
    Overseas Personality: Fabian Cancellara (nominees: NIbali and Gilbert)
    Team of the Year: HTC
    Coach of the Year: The Team Sky Bus (seriously Aldo Sassi)
    Young Personality (U-23): Lizzie Armistead
    Lifetime Achievement: Laurent Fignon
    Unsung Hero: Txema Gonzalez
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • For personality, my vote goes to Matt Lloyd, for the Euskatel quote:

"They just fall off. There's no reason why. You'll just be riding along and there they'll be like a bleeding carrot in the middle of the road lying in pain."

Anyone who can come up with that has to be worth a gong of some sort!!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Cycling Personality of the Year would go to :

Jonny Bellis

Started off the year in hospital, got himself back on the bike, back racing and is still improving - AND he's one of the nicest guys in the world of cycling!

Others I considered: Evans (he's just great isn't he?), Cav (seriously nice guy), Matti Breschel (great athlete - gave me the biggest smile ever in Paris).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Cancellara.

Can't get my head around procycling giving Cavendish the best rider of the year award over Cancellara, beyond a bit of soft nationalism...
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Easily Cav for the Brits,

Spartacus, for his influence in the Tour.

And AS / AC for the best double act.

Personality has nothing to do with results, you get winners medals for that.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Scrumple wrote:

Personality has nothing to do with results, you get winners medals for that.
    Then how the hell does Evans get in the Frame. ??
    He whines & whinges more than Cavendish and so a rating of minus 98 for personality I think.

I like the saturday night out with Tom Boonen "thought" and will go with him, because he seems to shrug adversity off, with there always another day tomorrow.

Ema has my vote as I still see her on the front and winding things up in the Olympic RR and again in this years World RR. She's Great.

Mustn't forget Blazing's niece for Junior Personality and she can shift also.
    The 19 year old "2010" Welsh womens sportswomen of the year. Becky James
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    russel downing
  • Chav

Fractures his skull in liege-bastogne-liege only to come back in the TdF and, when everyone else is falling off on the same roads, wins the stage and takes yellow. Then loses it on the cobbles but regains it again the day before Morzine, again when taking the stage. Winning twice in one tour from the break cant be that usual?