To tube or not to tube tyres

faceplant77
faceplant77 Posts: 25
edited December 2010 in MTB general
I'm looking at getting a pair ofwinter tyres, I was looking at the Maxxis Medusas although these are very good for mud, i'd be mainly using these on trails. These tyres come in both tube and tubeless.

Currently my bike has tubed tyres, it is easy to install a tubeless kit and is it worth the extra, as I'd need a new value and have to use tyre sealant or is there more to it?

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Did mine for the first time this week with the Stans No Tubes kit and it's straight forwardish.

Clean rims and apply tape tightly. I then refitted the tyres and tubes to make sure the tape is well fitted as per the video and left them for 24 hours.
    Remove the tube and install tubeless valve (may need to enlarge inner hole), reseat 90% of tyre leaving enough to add the sealent before fitting the remainder of the tyre.
    Inflate tyre, once inflated rotate wheel to allow the sealant to cover all inside of the tyre.

Inflating the tyre can be tricky and much easier with a compressor. Make sure the gauge on the compressor is accurate or you'll over inflate it and cover the room and yourself in sealant like I did last night.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    CraigXXL wrote:
    cover the room and yourself in sealant like I did last night.
    Interesting.

Are you sure you really need to go tubeless? If just doing it for the sake of going tubeless i'd rethink as it doesn't always mean an improvement, especially if you're having no problems with punctures at the minute.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I did have second thoughts at that point. I had the kit already so thought I would give it a go for the new build.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm a fan of tubeless on tubeless rims but conversion kits etc can bring with them problems... I decided that I'd sooner have punctures than burps. But standard tyres + tubeless rims = great success.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Have to agree if going tubeless do it with a tubeless rim.

Although I have used a conversion rim strip before that worked fine, it was just more of a faff.