Garmin Edge 800

badhorsy
badhorsy Posts: 107
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

as it's almost xmas, I'm mentally spending any money that I may get (from Santa of course).

I've been thinking about getting a bike computer (with GPS) because I'm sick of using my iPhone. It's a great device, but I'm too scared to mount it on my handlebars, the GPS is proving to be a little inaccurate, and the battery is shit.

The Garmin Edge 800 looks immense, although I'm concerned about being an 'early adopter' and running into problems?

Is it worth the 400 quid? (I can get the performance/navigation package for 400 from Wiggle, which seems like a good deal).

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Garmin 800 is not really 'new'. The 705 and 605 both have maps. The 800 just does it in a smaller package!

Is it worth 400 quid? Depends. If you've got that kind of money and can't go on a bike ride without being told where you are and where to go, then yes it is. :)

You can find it cheaper (and a LOT cheaper if you don't get the performance pack). Definitely a nice toy though. Would be even greater use if you have something like a Powertap - so you can get all your power readings off it.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Agree with Colin so maybe a second hand 705 would be a far better option.
  • You can't really say the Garmin 800 isn't new. It has a few features 605 and 705 don't:

OS map compatibility
    Calorie consumption calculated from heart rate
    Touchscreen
    Much improved mount

Touchscreen is a huge usability improvement over the previous nipple and the OS maps are so familiar to most of it's like having an old friend on your bars. The extra 50 quid to get 1:50,000 for the whole UK looks like a bargain to me.
    John Stevenson
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    £382 for performance & nav bundle on PBK, with the XMAS15 15% discount code, plus another 5% cashback with Quidco, so ~£363 all in. :)
  • Pokerface
    You can't really say the Garmin 800 isn't new. It has a few features 605 and 705 don't:

Touchscreen

Oooooooooh. Touchscreen. Nice!!

Will it work with thick gloves? :oops:
  • Pokerface wrote:

Surprisingly well actually.
    John Stevenson
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

Surprisingly well actually.

I think you should send me a test unit so I can make sure ;)
  • Garz
    Whilst it looks droolingly nice and funky I hate the major price tag they receive when first launched. However the VAT hike for the new year might mean buying it sooner rather than later could be a sensible choice.

As I have an edge 500 I won't be upgrading to one any time soon but I can jealously see the advantages I just cannot afford one tbh.

Is it worth it? Probably yes, but only if you can outlay the cost without re-mortgaging the house!

:wink:
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Ands wrote:
    £382 for performance & nav bundle on PBK, with the XMAS15 15% discount code, plus another 5% cashback with Quidco, so ~£363 all in. :)

By PBK i presume you mean pro bike kit, if so I can not find your package for any where near that price.
    Is it cheaper to buy the maps separately and if so where do you get the maps from?
  • Excellent write-up and review on the Garmin Edge 800 here http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html
  • Should say that I 'm waiting for mine to arrive, Wiggle despatched very quickly, but its spent the Xmas in the Couriers van by the looks of things! Due to be delivered on 23rd and never showed up :(

Perhaps it'll arrive tomorrow..............
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Teach wrote:
    Ands wrote:

By PBK i presume you mean pro bike kit, if so I can not find your package for any where near that price.
    Is it cheaper to buy the maps separately and if so where do you get the maps from?
    It was £449 and PBK had a 15% discount on 24-26 Dec. You had to enter the promo code XMAS15 at the checkout, which took the price to £382. Furthermore, if you use Quidco to do your online shopping, you would subsequently receive 5% cashback on your purchase of £382. (You register with Quidco.com, then every time you shop, you got to the retailers website via the link on Quidco. Wiggle offer 2% cashback, CRC is 4% (I think) and PBK 5%). I have received £380 cashback from Quidco this year - paid direcly into my bank account - just for doing my online shopping using the links on their website.
  • Garz
    It's tedious but as you put it like that very rewarding Ands! :shock:
  • Teach
    Christmas has been and gone and he didn't bring a Garmin, but I knew he wouldn't, but his little elf says I can get one now. :D
    Where is the cheapest place to get one with the HRM, cadence centre and 1:50000 road maps.
    Cheers
  • I was going to post a very similar question but about the Garmin Edge 705 Road Performance Package. On offer today at wiggle for £283.99 (I think). Guess there are alot of similarities with 800. Good buy or too much of a gadget for unfit overweight but wannabe Lycra hero? Should I just stick with hrm and iPhone apps?
  • Garz
    If you can afford it then on heavy discount it would be a worthy purchase if you like logging your data in a quality package.

I can see one day the phone muscling into this market easily however today's phone's severely lack in the battery department and the IP rating (weatherproof).
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    the 800 is not cheap but a great unit. yes there are a few bugs (as there are with all devices) but in the 2 months i've had my unit i have not had any real issues.

battery life is great (compared to my miserable iphone) and the unit is nice and compact when mounted to the stem. if you're a numbers freak like me with a bad sense of direction then the 800 is a no brainer.

here is my review of the unit incase it is of interest:

http://www.bicyclecenturytraining.com/b ... 00-review/

i too debated getting a 705 but decided the extra was worth it as i'd have probably regretted not getting the latest device (800). plus presumably at some point garmin will stop supporting (developing the software) for the older edge devices???
  • Ive had mine for 3 days and done 70 miles in three rides, i went for the trail bundle with 1:50,000 OS Great Britain maps on micro SD card, and so far so good,everything works as it should, i went to the 800 from having a 4 yr old 305 which i still use,and setting up the 800 is very similar to the 305, ive taken them both out on the same ride,the 800 on the stem and the 305 on the crossbar to do a comparison, and on distance they both read 29.93 miles, elevation readings were very close,both overeading a a little bit on the day, actually the 305 was slightly closer to the correct values, and on speed ,overlaying the graphs on GTC, the 800 reads 2-4 kmh faster most of the way through the ride,the grade readings were pretty variable on both so not much change there then,the calories burnt reading was 1530 on the 305 and 960 on the 800 which is nearer the truth imo,the temperature reading is handy as well, but needs a few miles to settle to a steady reading, so all in all well pleased with the 800 so far,i hope it carries on that way.
  • Teach
    Thank you for your responses. Where's the place to buy the 800 in the New Year? Still handtec? Anywhere doing a special new year promotion following the vat increase?
  • Could always try wiggle for 800

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... on-bundle/

selling at £404.99 today. Don't know if that's enough discount and not looked elsewhere to see if better price.
    They also have this for £314.99 if interested

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... -computer/

Haven't decided what I'm going to do. Probably nothing sadly.....
  • Wow ... just looked at handtec site, never heard of them before tonight. there prices seem to be alot cheaper. What I think is the same bundle that Wiggle are selling for £400 is only £365 at Handtec, check it out

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/35 ... ion-bundle

Even iPads are £40 or so cheaper here for the all singing all dancing version.....
  • Teach
    A lot of people use the hand tec site and I've not heard of any complaints on here.http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/35 ... ion-bundle

Which mapping software does this model come with is it the 1:500000?
  • Wow ... just looked at handtec site, never heard of them before tonight. there prices seem to be alot cheaper. What I think is the same bundle that Wiggle are selling for £400 is only £365 at Handtec, check it out

Even iPads are £40 or so cheaper here for the all singing all dancing version.....

• Oooops sorry about replica posts. Not quite sure what happened
  • Teach
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Oooops sorry about replica posts. Not quite sure what happened
    I believe someone opened your eyes to yet more possibilities of gadgets and how you can financially justify them. I think you may have become a bit over excited.
  • I believe someone opened your eyes to yet more possibilities of gadgets and how you can financially justify them. I think you may have become a bit over excited.

Only a little bit ........... well okay alot