Charity ride training

eatmorechips
eatmorechips Posts: 8
I'm supposed to be doing the London-Paris ride next summer and was wondering what sort of distances I need to be able to manage before the event. The longest day is 90 miles with 2 70 mile days and the final day is about 45.

Will I be ok if I aim to cope with a 90mile ride and assume that I will cope with the other "smaller" days?

Any advice?
Raleigh Grifter
Raleigh Milk Race
GT Outpost
GT LTS3
Giant Defy 1
Cube Team Race

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Forget the distance - for the time being concentrate on getting time in the saddle. You need to be prepared for 6+hrs on your bike and that, rather than the distance, should be your aiming point. Once you can spend the best part of a full day in the saddle you can then start to worry about the distance. Don't forget you will be riding around 45m in the am (with a mid-morning break) and the the same in the afternoon.

When are you doing yours?I have one towards the end of June!
  • Thanks for advice, doing 40-50miles at the moment on a weekend training ride, averaging about 15mph over an undulating course. Was thinking of doing a sportive as part of prep too. Doing it for Macmillan in the summer hols, just waiting for the date to be confirmed.
    Raleigh Grifter
    Raleigh Milk Race
    GT Outpost
    GT LTS3
    Giant Defy 1
    Cube Team Race
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Sportives are good - gives you a chance to experience cycling in a large group.

Don't underestimate the effects of riding with other people - they'll help keep you going and make things easier.

I've now done rides with an 85yr old woman and several limbless guys - all completed the rides (H4H ones) with no major problems. Some took longer than others to finish but remember - it's not a race! (or as one guy was fond of saying "Complete not compete!")

Have fun with it mate - the fitter you are prior to the event the more you'll enjoy it :)
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Agree with just focus on getting your time in the saddle for now. When you improve you can start upping the mileage aiming for consecutive days in a row. If you can complete 2x 80 or 3x 50's in succession then your almost all set.

If you really surpass the training you can start mixing up intervals, hillwork and stuff but I guess start walking before running... :D