TDF 2013 to start in Corsica

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    That's a Grand Depart I'd like to go see...

Strava is not Zen.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Damn when will it return to London?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Damn when will it return to London?

Who cares London is awful and Corsica is awesome :P
  • I dislike the whole idea of the Tour de France not actually starting in France but in places like London, so the Corsica start is a welcome one. Bit like the Giro starting in Sardinia.
  • I dislike the whole idea of the Tour de France not actually starting in France but in places like London, so the Corsica start is a welcome one. Bit like the Giro starting in Sardinia.

Well, Corsica is French territory, and Sardinia is Italian, so there's no conflict as far as I can see. It seems quite appropriate to me.

Onceover I managed to walk over the tops of Corsica. It's incredibly lumpy. Rather looking forward to seeing it at road level should they venture over the mountains.

PS. Just read the previous post. I see I got the wrong end of the stick here. Apologies :oops:
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Bet all the TTers and Roulers are happy...
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Corsica is a beautiful island to the west of the Ligurian Sea nearer Italy than France. It would make a great holiday to see the Tour off then enjoy the surroundings.
    For those that prefer the Tour starting in France then Corsica is known as a region of France but a lot of the locals would prefer it go back to being a republic again, my family and I witnessed the after effects of a bomb attack when on holiday there in 1992.
    Corsica in 1764 was bought by the French from the republic of Genoa three months later Napoleon was born from Italian Nobel parents. Corsica remained a French republic until 1769 when it was incorporated into the French regions proper.
    There used to be a Tour of Corsica but the last one was staged in 1982, this year saw the Criterium International staged there starting in Porto Vecchio (old port) in Italian.
    I cycle at times with a guy who has done the old Tour of Corsica as well as the TDF and it can be described as a mountainous island with a hybrid culture.