Pegasus registration

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited December 2010 in Pro race
Pegasus Sports' Pro Continental team registration has been refused by the UCI

Comments

• Very sad, I'll join in you lot by adding a link.....

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=10169
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The whole thing is a fricking shambles.

Can't wait for the Robbie Hunter tweet though. It's bound to be a good 'un.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I know they are not fashionable round here, but you can understand why riders would choose to sign for a team with a copper bottomed sponsor like Sky when you see things like this happening.

I feel particularly sorry for McEwen, OK so he's not the rider he was ten years ago but it was great to see him still mixing up in the sprints this year, and i'm sure he still has some wins in those wise old legs.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    The writing was on the wall - once the principal sponsor fell away, they were up 5h1t creek. If Cervelo TT couldn't find a replacement/secondary sponsor with the likes of Hushovd, Haussler, Sastre on the roster, then what chance the likes of Pegasus, Millram etc.

Presumably the likes of Hunter and McKewen have 'opt out' clauses in their contracts in such an event, albeit find a spot/decent contract easier said than done in this financial climate.
  • iainf72
    More explanation from the UCI

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1

Fair enough - Sounds like Mr White is a chancer.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    iainf72 wrote:
    More explanation from the UCI

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1

Fair enough - Sounds like Mr White is a chancer.

Not sure how that assumption can be made when the UCI release a statement based on not knowing the full facts:
    or the UCI, the failure of Pegasus Sports is very bad news, but that cannot however affect the rigorous work our Federation carries out for cycling, or the respect that is due to all those who have fulfilled their obligations according to the regulation.

While waiting to learn of the reasons for the decision announced by the Licence Commission on 20th December, the UCI can however presume that the refusal to register Pegasus Sports is based on a financial aspect, given the serious shortcomings the formation had presented.
    I'm surprised a team which was 23rd for a pro-tour licence wasn't given a conti. I'm amazed that in recent years teams with no history can come in from nowhere and claim a pro licence ie the likes of Sky (an example only). Fly-V at least had a history!!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    They hadn't put in place the financial guarantees required, so the UCI are aware of the key fact, if not the complete reasoning of the License Commission.

Chris White has duped people, who are now out of a job, just in time for Christmas. (As an aside, I expect Dave_1 will be along shortly to blame Pro Race posters for this).
  • top_bhoy
    I can't see how it can be said with any certainty that Chris White has duped people and how the UCI can make public statements based on presumptions. There can be any number of reasons, not necessarily financial, why the financial guarantees were not in place in time. Fly-V had what appeared to be a solid base and Pegasus was to be an extension to this. 'Duping' is a strong term, I'd like to wait for the factual reasons for this not happening before being judgemental.

He's been such a great cyclist, maybe I just want to see McEwen end his career on his terms and not in a licencing room (I think this season will be his last).
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    All credit to Bruyneel and Armstrong for saving the two Robbies' from unemployment. Well, fingers crossed this statute of limitations expires in a few weeks and the RS team continues.
  • iainf72
    Fun fact : Hiring the 2 Robbies increased the average age of The Shack.
  • Which is now a mere 29.
    To replace the Steegman's hole. So, charity begins at home.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    I can't see how it can be said with any certainty that Chris White has duped people and how the UCI can make public statements based on presumptions. There can be any number of reasons, not necessarily financial, why the financial guarantees were not in place in time. Fly-V had what appeared to be a solid base and Pegasus was to be an extension to this. 'Duping' is a strong term, I'd like to wait for the factual reasons for this not happening before being judgemental.

Have you read the UCI's statement? White has clearly made promises to riders and staff that he can't fulfil because he doesn't have the level of funding required, hence his inability to provide the financial guarantees he needs to give to gain UCI registration. This includes lodging a sum equivalent to three month's wages with the UCI's auditors, something he hasn't been able to do.

The really criminal aspect of this, is that he has continued his deception until it's too late for most riders to find new teams for next year.

How anyone can defend his behaviour is beyond me.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    How anyone can defend his behaviour is beyond me.

+1

The whole thing seemed like a massive speculation on Whites part.
  • top_bhoy
    Not defending him...I don't know what the truth is.There are plenty of reasons why there has been a failure to lodge the necessary money. Yes, it could be deception but it could just as easily be naiveity in believing what others were telling him or any number of other reasons. Being naive or a bad businessman doesn't necessarily mean you are a conman. I'll wait until factual based info is available before I associate him with duping based on a presumption.

I do agree it is sad that riders are left in the lurch late in the day but innocent employees being affected when businesses collapse is nothing new or special to cycling.
  • iainf72
    I see Daniel Benson just tweeted that CW refused to comment when asked if he had a signed contract from the Gillet family.

I'm gathering he's got something of a reputation and folks who've had dealings in the past aren't terribly surprised.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    I see Daniel Benson just tweeted that CW refused to comment when asked if he had a signed contract from the Gillet family.

I'm gathering he's got something of a reputation and folks who've had dealings in the past aren't terribly surprised.

No, you are assuming he has a "reputation".

Got any links to those he has had associations with in past that lead to such a reputation??