OT What Wine For Xmas Dinner?

Stone Glider
Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
I know what I intend to drink but I was wondering what others intend. Turkey with all the trimmings has always posed problems for me on the wine front. I used to select a fizzy red burgundy but lost the source for that many years ago. This year I am going for a beaujolais from Sainsbury's 'House' range, light fruity, inexpensive. How about you?
The older I get the faster I was

Comments

• If you prefer reds - Pinot Noir , Cono Sur do a lovely Pinot. Great label as well

If it's white - a Sauvignon Blanc - Wither Hills from New Zealand

Both bottles are around 5.99 each if you hunt around
  • It's a day for indulgence.

With breakfast, some NV champagne made into Bucks Fizz. Repeat during the course of the morning.

Around noon to 1 crack open the vintage. I've a couple of 99s kicking around begging to be put down.

Lunch will be accompanied by something full bodied - a Chassagne Montrachet that I have yet to select.

Dessert with a spot of 1977 Grahams.

Cheese with the last of my 1990 Sauternes <sob> (I prefer the sticky & the port that way round).

Back in the day, pre-kids, we used to have mates round and do a pseudo-taster menu with trad turkey woven in. That reached its peak with 11 course and 7 wines. Nowadays I have neither the patience nor the time nor the physical capacity to put that lot away.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Always start Xmas day with some bubbly with my scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, yum yum!

For Xmas dinner I was planning on drinking a gorgeous pinotage that I brought back from South Africa a couple of years ago (Robertson Winery). By far and away my favorite wine.

However, as I don't eat Turkey my Mum has decided that I'm on Salmon for Xmas Day (I usually make a vege option for me) so will be on the hunt for a nice white instead.

May have to save the Pinotage for my anniversary instead (Wedding was in SA so its fitting to drink wine I brought back from there). Or it could be the afternoons tipple...
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    I know what I intend to drink but I was wondering what others intend. Turkey with all the trimmings has always posed problems for me on the wine front. I used to select a fizzy red burgundy but lost the source for that many years ago. This year I am going for a beaujolais from Sainsbury's 'House' range, light fruity, inexpensive. How about you?

I'd go for a Rioja Crianza. Spend more than £5!
    No idea. We will be at the inlaws so I suspect it will be something circa 1998 for the red, from Bordeaux, possibly a St Emillion or a Medoc. The white will probably be something from the Loire. I love having inlaws who holiday in France every year and have an old house with a cellar.

We will be taking some bolly down to start with breakfast.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Given the soon-to-be-ex wife has decided to go on the wagon (the weirdo), I'll be the only one drinking this Christmas.

So I laid in some high quality artisan beers instead and will be working my way through them throughout brunch/lunch.

I'll start with a Kernel Brewery SCANS IPA, a delightfully robust and hoppy little number that gets the zangers going.

Accompanying lunch will be a Kernel London Porter and an Export Stout, while Christmas pudding drink will be a 12.5% Kernel Imperial Stout, which should see me right until I crack out the port and Stilton.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ketsbaia wrote:

So I laid in some high quality artisan beers instead and will be working my way through them throughout brunch/lunch.

I'll start with a Kernel Brewery SCANS IPA, a delightfully robust and hoppy little number that gets the zangers going.

Accompanying lunch will be a Kernel London Porter and an Export Stout, while Christmas pudding drink will be a 12.5% Kernel Imperial Stout, which should see me right until I crack out the port and Stilton.

now that sounds good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    White or red. Or maybe even that pink stuff.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Along with the Belgian fruit bier ( see OT beer thread) we have about 6 bottles of Tesco Spanish cava; that stuff is fantastic.... about £4 a bottle - BARGAIN !!!!!.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Given the soon-to-be-ex wife has decided to go on the wagon (the weirdo), I'll be the only one drinking this Christmas.

Pardon my nosiness sir. You and the almost ex are spending the holidays together? I thought people splitting up got as far away from each other as possible?

PS: What's wrong with drinking Lambrini instead? Reasonably priced isn't it? :lol:

Only mentioned it as I saw an ad for it over the weekend. Didn't think that stuff still existed.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Greg66 wrote:
    It's a day for indulgence.

With breakfast, some NV champagne made into Bucks Fizz. Repeat during the course of the morning.

Around noon to 1 crack open the vintage. I've a couple of 99s kicking around begging to be put down.

Lunch will be accompanied by something full bodied - a Chassagne Montrachet that I have yet to select.

Dessert with a spot of 1977 Grahams.

Cheese with the last of my 1990 Sauternes <sob> (I prefer the sticky & the port that way round).

Back in the day, pre-kids, we used to have mates round and do a pseudo-taster menu with trad turkey woven in. That reached its peak with 11 course and 7 wines. Nowadays I have neither the patience nor the time nor the physical capacity to put that lot away.

Blimey!!! Wine poseur alert!!! Hide the Liebfraumilch!!!! :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Lambrusco...seems to be a popular wine around my housing estate :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Cafewanda wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Pardon my nosiness sir. You and the almost ex are spending the holidays together? I thought people splitting up got as far away from each other as possible?

It's for the kids, innit.
  • I enjoy sparkling wines but Mrs SG don't :cry: Fortunately she makes an exception for a Cava that Tanners of Shrewsbury do :) So that will make an appearance during the proceedings. However I was asking specifically about the main meal as I find it tricky with such high expectations and such elaborate preparations. When I cooked goose as the roast it was easier, any sparkler will do - so much grease - these days the absence of gall bladders amongst some of the assembly bars that bird.

I think I would enjoy some crafted beers but that would not be considered 'appropriate behaviour' in certain quarters. Noetheless, good luck with all your choices and Happy Christmas.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    champagne into bucksfizz is a little wasteful cava or prosecco work equally well.. add some cointreau to make it bloody brilliant

turkey can do one, I'm making beef wellington for my dinner and I'll be washing it down with some kannonkop Paul Sauer that's been sitting in my wine rack for a couple of years

yum
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14