Sports personailty of the year

shakey88
shakey88 Posts: 289
edited December 2010 in Pro race
Everyone vote for Cav,yeah yeah yeah, you know it makes sense.Wouldn't it be just awesome if a roadie won it,and he deserves it more than those other lesser mortals.
It's your chance to put British cycling on the map.
Don't waste it :wink:

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'll vote for him, but he's a rank outsider, so I'll hope Graeme Swann wins
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Its a very poor competition this. I mean...what is classified as a 'sport'? Dart? horse racing? I dont think so.

I think it should be close between Cav, Swann, McDowell and WESTWOOD.

I will vote for him thats for sure.
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm showing solidarity with the local council in Douglas and not voting

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of- ... _1_2864617

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • What about Amy(the loon)on her tea tray sliding on the ice at 100kph++++++++ and winning gold. she's mad bad and just to be sexist very good looking.
  • huh?!?! This a little childish, correct if I am wrong, but dint he go to Commonwealth Games directly after the World Championship? Does that show he doesn't care?

Is there a reason for him to reject the freedom of the borough?

but u have your opinion and i appreciate that but its a bit childish one.
  • Its a very poor competition this. I mean...what is classified as a 'sport'? Dart? horse racing? I dont think so.

How can you say that a Cyclist/Golfer deserves to be in the list anymore than a Jockey.
    Just have a look at Tony McCoys record and tell me he is not a top class athlete.
    He would put as much time and effort into his preparation as any other professional sportsman
    Go neiri on bothar leat.

How can you say that a Cyclist/Golfer deserves to be in the list anymore than a Jockey.
    Just have a look at Tony McCoys record and tell me he is not a top class athlete.
    He would put as much time and effort into his preparation as any other professional sportsman

I get that . . . but the horse does much more work than him. would he win some big races if it wasn't for the horse?
  • iainf72

I get that . . . but the horse does much more work than him. would he win some big races if it wasn't for the horse?

Would Cavendish win any races if it wasn't for his team and bike?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    iainf72 wrote:

Yes but Mark propels the bike not the other way round.
  • shakey88
    Its a very poor competition this. I mean...what is classified as a 'sport'? Dart? horse racing? I dont think so.

:roll: yeah but it's the horse that does all the hard work.He just hangs on for dear life.Call that sport? Horse racing is only popular cos of the betting side of it. Take that away and no one would be interested.
  • shakey88
    iainf72 wrote:

err yes,the pro's all ride virtually the same standard of bike and the teams all have the same number of riders so no advantage there.He's just faster,even you can see that,surely?
  • iainf72
    Yes, I know. But my point is it's not a good path to go down deciding x or y isn't a sport. Back in 1989 when Lemond was Sports Illustrated sport star of the year, many people complained cycling wasn't a sport because it didn't involve hand / eye coordination.

And on a seriously note, Cavendish has had far more impressive years than 2010, so it would be ironic if he won SPOTY when he had a not-as-great-as-before year.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Apart from cyclists, jockeys are probably the sportsmen (and women) I have the most respect for. Tough as nails, they compete for most of the year in all conditions, for very little reward or acclaim. If they fall and get hurt, they don't whinge about it, they just get up and carry on.

I don't give a hoot who wins SPOTY, but cycling fans knocking McCoy is wrongheaded IMO. Road cycling and national hunt racing share many similarities and fans of one would find many things to admire in the other if they cared to look hard enough.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    afx237vi wrote:
    Apart from cyclists, jockeys are probably the sportsmen (and women) I have the most respect for. Tough as nails, they compete for most of the year in all conditions, for very little reward or acclaim. If they fall and get hurt, they don't whinge about it, they just get up and carry on.

I don't give a hoot who wins SPOTY, but cycling fans knocking McCoy is wrongheaded IMO. Road cycling and national hunt racing share many similarities and fans of one would find many things to admire in the other if they cared to look hard enough.

The Hungarians still do horseback archery, where they have to hit targets at full gallop. Now THAT is a sport.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Hungary is a long way to go when you can do that in Devon!

http://www.ashmoorhorsebackarchers.com/page6.htm

Still looking for somewhere in the UK where I can get a game of buzkashi. Now that's a sport.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I'd still rather go and do it in Hungary.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    afx237vi wrote:
    Hungary is a long way to go when you can do that in Devon!

http://www.ashmoorhorsebackarchers.com/page6.htm

Still looking for somewhere in the UK where I can get a game of buzkashi. Now that's a sport.
    I was just going to suggest goat polo as a random sport, but when I googled buzkashi, it's one and the same. A couple of people I know went to a "game" of it in Kyrgyzstan a couple of years ago. It was quite random, apparently!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    And on a seriously note, Cavendish has had far more impressive years than 2010, so it would be ironic if he won SPOTY when he had a not-as-great-as-before year.

Yes, be nice if he won it for winning the MSR, TDF Green Jersey and the WC next year!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • shakey88
    Monkey Tennis? :D
  • Lads

When riding a horse at 30mph+ down to a Hurdle surrounded by 2 or 22 horses you do not just hang on for dear life. You have to keep your horse balanced and be in controll. It could be compared to decending at speed down a mountain on wet roads. A slight lack of concentration and it all over.

Its the fact that Tony McCoy does it day in day out on Horses of all sorts of ability is what makes him stand out.
    As they say 'its not about the Bike' in Racing its not just 'About the Horse' because its more often than not the 'Ability of the Rider to get the best out of the given Horse on the Day'

I would say that there is no other Jockey since Lester Piggott who would deserve to be on a year end list buy Tony McCoy does purely for his record in all races not just the Classic Equivalents
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • Guys ... just support your sport for once !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • voted 10 times so far worth the 50p per time on my mobile
    "you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Voted for Cav - have to say Ennis and Williams look hot!
  • Keep trying to vote for Cav and it's engaged.....
  • mr_poll wrote:
    Voted for Cav - have to say Ennis and Williams look hot!

so did zara phillips :D
    "you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    09015222301 to vote for Mark.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    A fooking jockey wins it.

How ghey is that? :roll: :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cav looked gutted. And rightly so!
  • So .... better get down the bookies on Monday morning, smoking fags with the rest of real the sports fans !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    At least another rider won! :roll: