Tomorrow

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
Its dry but -4 . No snow on the ground do I ride or wimp out ?

Comments

• Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Ride. Hope that there is a clear blue sky and enjoy the day.
    However it depends what the roads are like near you. If there's lots of black ice, think about staying at home and keeping safe.
    It does depend on how well equipped you are. Do you have enough layers and can you keep your hands and feet warm. It's amazing how cold it is cycling down hills. Even early Autumn rides can leave my hands numb if there is a good descent.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Stay in and do some plyometrics.

At this time of year the sun is very low to the horizon. With a cloudless sky and drivers going out with frosted and misted up screens, some can't see a bloody thing when they turn to face the sun.
    They won't see a cyclist.
  • I went out today at about 2;45 (for about 1 1/2 hours) not the best time to pick..it was fresh to say the least.
    My cleats kept freezing to my pedals,on my mountain bike this time not road so I was on a snow covered cinder path hence the excessive moisture.
    The roads were good though..and my only regret was not doubling up on the socks otherwise no complaints..apart from the 2 near misses... :shock:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Should be the same weather where I am in Cheshire. As long as there is no snow am going to hit the roads - but sticking to main routes and hoping there's no ice!
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    After a Siberian style forecast here today and booking my bike in for a couple of repairs, the weather was then lovely but bloody cold - I rode the mile to the LBS in civvies without glasses and my eyes were streaming!

Upshot is yes, collecting her asap in the morning, and i'm out for at least a half century...
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Colin, looking out of my window I don't think us mortals will be hitting the roads tomorrow unless it melts freakily after lunch methinks!
  • Pokerface
    Garz wrote:
    Colin, looking out of my window I don't think us mortals will be hitting the roads tomorrow unless it melts freakily after lunch methinks!

Ah yes. It appears to be white outside now. :oops:
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Quite a bit of snow in Norfolk unfortunately and plenty of ice on the roads. I won't risk cycling this weekend :cry:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    I'm thinking the same as you carl. It's nicely covered right now in Norwich.

I went out last friday and again on monday but with these conditions it's just asking for trouble with skinny road tyres.

Think i'll just eat and drink well this weekend so i'll have something to burn off when conditions get better!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't ride. Not worth it. Believe me!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    MTB - frozen trails 8)
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    If the roads are wet then don't go, they'll turn to ice overnight.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Snowy but not icy looking here. In any case, it will be MTB and studded tyres today.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I've got to agree with the rest it's too dodgy now,I think I took the last plausible oppotunity yesterday... :roll:
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I managed to get out on the bike yesterday, only 8 miles though because I saw the forcast for the weekend.
  • Pokerface
    Looks like turbo work for a while now! Thankfully next week is a rest week for me, so not a lot of riding in my training plan!
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Been out 4 times this week and done 80 miles (commute) so happy with that as is. Normally get an XC ride on w/end but will skip it. Going to research lights for helmet now. Having cup of tea. Kids watching CBBC. Yawn........
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Just arraged bike ride tomorrow morning - off road. :D
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Should be the same weather where I am in Cheshire. As long as there is no snow am going to hit the roads - but sticking to main routes and hoping there's no ice!

What happens when you find ice and slide across the road?

It' s your life, but I won't going out for a while yet
  • Pokerface
    fredmac wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

What happens when you find ice and slide across the road?

I yell "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!" as I slide along. 8)
  • allen
    allen Posts: 214
    Well went out on my old hybrid 13.5 miles absolutely freezing to my hands. Just steady riding as there are some evil looking patchs about. All ok though not sure it made much difference in terms of exercise .
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,696
    allen wrote:
    All ok though not sure it made much difference in terms of exercise .
    Aye, there's the rub - if I'm going out properly, I want to push it, and that's asking for trouble. I don't enjoy gentle pootles on main roads, and the side roads are lethal. So I'll stick to my commuting into town, as I know that the roads will be clear, and that I can work hard for a few miles.
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Had about 10cm of snow here - went for a 2 hour MTB ride and did 17.5 miles. I love it because heart rate zones were worked near enough the same for our clubs 50 mile training ride. Roads were atrocious though!
  • was perfect conditions in the north east today, but couldn't be bothered, courtesy of black eyed friday. hope its as good tomorrow
  • I'm desperate to get out, only got 68 miles to get to my yearly target, but definitely won't be risking it this weekend. But that's probably got something to do with the 4 inches of snow on the ground! Even with a decent frost I don't think I'd risk it.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • My race at Hillingdon was cancelled, so I got the cross bike out and hit some local playing fields. Snow up to the bottom of my chain ring and it was real hard work. Great experience though - I've never ridden in snow before. I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near the roads - my brakes did nothing at all on the way home.
    Summer - Colnago C40
    Race - Wilier Alpe D'Huez
    Winter/Commuter - Specialized Tricross
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    No snow here yet. First bike ride - albeit MTB - since November 23rd this afternoon. Effin loved it after dog walking and the odd run. Hoping to get out again tomorrow.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    5 hours off-road yesterday - 6 inches of finest powder snow over hard-pack make the trails fairly rideable. At one point where we crosed a country road a policeman in a 4x4 questioned our sanity.
    Off to ride a cross race today - white cross - brilliant!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • went out for a 5 mile cross country run . stayed warm, over in 45 mins and no bike to clean
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    We still have some of the original snow up here that fell a month ago and freezing fog and frost has turned it into cement. Was -10 during daytime hours yesterday and like the days beforehand for a week = no riding for me on roads for a long time if there is any roads left!!

Merry Xmas
    Brian B.