Mountain bike tyre pumps

Puzzled
Puzzled Posts: 3
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
How do you pump mountain bike tyres up? I need to take a pump with me because I camp with my bike but cannot find a pump that is capable of inflating innertubes fitted with car-type vavlves. Can anyone help please?

Comments

• A lot of the pumps you'll find in the shops come set up for presta valves, but can easily be changed to fit schrader by moving a couple of their parts around.

Ask in a bike shop, they'll sort you out.
    John Stevenson
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Randomly looking around I have 3 track pumps and four hand pumps. All can handle both Presta and Schrader.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeha pretty much every pump can be set up for both. Most hand pumps will have a little cap you unscrew, flip a plastic washer around and you change to the other type. 20 Second job.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only pump I have that can't handle both is my Shock pump!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you for your help on my previous post. I should have made it clearer. I havea pump,a Zefal, which fits schrader valves, but I can't get any air past the valve into the tube. I have an electric car tyre pump and this even struggles to get air past the valve into the tyres. Thus if I get a puncture there is no way I can pump the tyre up. Why are these schrader valves so difficult?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are not. you have something wrong with either your pumps or the valve.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Schraeder valve need the centre 'pip' within it depressed to pump up, if that is snapped/bent/missing you'll struggle to get air in.

Schraeder are a much used international standard made in their billions, there is no inherent defect with one in good condition!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.