Next weekend - Majorca? Girona? Malaga? Other?

cookiemonster
cookiemonster Posts: 668
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
Right, I've had enough of this cold and icey roads, I've got some holiday to burn and I can afford a couple of days off work next week. Looking to fly out somewhere on the Friday 17th, and come back on the Monday (20th).

Where I can go thats only a couple of hours flying (I reckon the canaries are too far for a long weekend) and an hour max transfer from the airport. Reasonable climate, good choice of cycling (some mountainy hilly things, but also some flat options for if im unlucky with the weather). A cycle-camp or cycle friendly place would be a bonus as I can leave the track pump at home, get some advice on routes, that kind of thing.

Currently thinking of the west side of Majorca - soller, deia or the like (not that ive ever been there) - but not sure about weather or have any ideas of places to stay. Malaga is another option - but it seems a bit of trek to get out of the tourist hell. Not sure on alterantives...

Any recommendations?

Jon

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Malaga itself is great, the city itself I mean; the tourist hell covers much of the coast, but the city itself feels relatively un-touristy. And it's a decent base for cycling, especially the roads around the Puerto de Leon or towards Antequera, . I've stayed in this hotel with a couple of mates: http://www.hotel-montevictoria.com/, and although not a cycling hotel as such, very friendly, with bike storage in the garage.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    mallorca. 2 hours flying and great cycling. try Can Pastilla/Arenal. Close to the airport but near great cycling country. Tourist office on the front will give you a book full of cycling routes and I have done a few of them in rainy windy weather in February. The flatttish country lanes are quite shelterd and there is always a village with a cyclist friendly cafe in the square for coffee and cake. Downsides are, the weather is a gamble [though I have had good sunny weeks cycling in late November] and the choice of flights is more limited than the mainland in winter.
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Alicante (or the area to the North around Calpe) might be as good a bet as Malaga. Lots of good hills inland & the coastal sections around Calpe aren't too bad to ride either.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • A bit late but yeah, Id fly to Alicante and enjoy Calpe/Benidorm area.