Bar End Shifters, swtiching left for right

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
edited December 2010 in Workshop
evening all,

Got a bit of an issue...

Last year I broke my right wrist, basically crushed the end of the joint from the forearm, which means I now to strugle changing gear with this hand in the tiem trial position (aero bars)

I ended up putting my right shifter (rear mech) onto friction and that worked okay, still more exatly easy but it got me through the season.

After having surgery on it in the last month, the outcome isnt good bascially and I am likely to have the same issues. In a few years worse.

Now I could look at it that great I have an excuse to buy Di2, if I could afford it....

anyway thinking of other options...

What I have considered is switching the front and rear shifters on the end of the aero bars so that the left shifter is the rear and the right shifter is the front

Now firstly, since I'm running on friction anyway can I litterally just switch cables round, or is there different cable pull on a front and rear mech (shimano ultegra 6700)

or...

Do I need to switch the shifters round as well, I presume that there would be no reason I cant switch them? (unlike STIs that would swing the wrong way)

If you have another suggestion I would appricaite it!

Thanks

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I would move the shifters over. you could put the rear one back on index then. As long as you know which one does what and the cable run is OK then it does not matter which side they are on.
    Also consider turning them over. I have found it much easier with the lever pointing upwards in top gear and pushing the lever forward and down to change down. I am using Profile T2+ bars which are horizontal.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    cheers for that :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Whilst we`re talking about bar end shifter position , curiously , i run mine to the side.
    So they run left and right ,as apposed to up and down.
    For a reason i cant describe , just find it easier and more comfortable .
    I suppose what im trying to say is , do whatever works for you and because everybody else has it like ? does`nt mean you cant have a !
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    I would just swap the shifters over and go back to having them indexed. i would also say try what john said and have them pointing upwards i have done this on my tt bike and its alot easier, just give it a go and see what works for you!!