Rear dropout spacing on my fixie

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited December 2010 in The workshop
I bought a new pair of wheels for my fixie on Saturday as the rim on my rear wheel had started to split. I took my existing pair into the LBS, the mechanic swapped ny sprocket and freewheel across (flipflop), and even moved the tyres over to the new wheels for me.

I've just gone to put the wheels on, and struggled to get the rear wheel in, as it didn't seem to fit between the dropouts. I got the tape measure out to check I wasn't doing anything stupid, and my dropouts are 12cm wide (inside to inside). The hub, with sprocket, freewheel and spacers is 12.5cm wide.

Do I just need to go back to the LBS and get them to fix it, or can I rejig it myself? I don't have any spare spacers here, and it looks like the spacers they've used are 0.5cm. Presumably if I just took a single spacer off this would leave the wheel off centre between the dropouts, and I need a pair of 0.25cm spacers instead?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the new hub is a 126mm O.L.D. hub not a 120mm one that you need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • graeme_s-2
    Hmm... Possible. It's this wheel set which is described as 120mm on that site.

This is making me wonder if I'm just going mental, and just managed to cock up fitting it and then mis-measure. Might have to take another trip to the shed!
  • nicklouse
    are there any loose washers? are they in the correct place?

have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • graeme_s-2
    Ok, had another look, it really does seem to be in the region of 126mm. This is what it looks like:

5255280736_92b52fb3da.jpg5255267022_3f960d77f5.jpg

I'm measuring from the shiny hatched bits on either side
  • nicklouse
    i reckon that the knurled washers should spin off quite easily. It looks like there is lock nuts already there. which should bring you back down to about 120mm
  • graeme_s-2
    There was (left to right in the pics) a nut, a spacer that just slid on and had no thread, and then the knurled washers, which were knurled for half their width, and notched for a pedal spanner on the other half. Once I took the spacers out it was about right.

Thanks for your help!
  • nicklouse
    been looking on Kores webby and they do come in 120 and 130 widths. so maybe the wrong one got sent?
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Is it a steel frame? If so, cold-set it to 126mm (bend it, basically).

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

It can always be cold-set back to 120mm if you ever feel like it.
  • graeme_s-2
    Aluminium.

Popped into LBS on the way home from work yesterday and they've just said to bring the whole bike in and they'll sort it out (have a suspicion this will end up with them putting a different rear wheel on). So I'm back off down there shortly.
  • lae
    Which LBS do you use? I live in Coventry too
  • graeme_s-2
    Coventry Cycle Centre (formerly John Atkins on Far Gosford Steert). Basically with the spacers taken off it fits in the drop outs fine, and I just have a tiny bit of thread protruding after the track nuts are screwed on.
  • lae
    Yeah I live on the road behind Far Gosford. They wanted £35 labour and £30 spokes to build a wheel so I don't go there any more. Albany Cycles did it for £30 for both spokes and labour.
  • graeme_s-2
    You live on Gulson? I used to live on Carmelite when I was a student at Cov uni. Commute up and down Gulson road every day now.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I live in Leamington Spa but commute to Warwick Uni daily.....

John Atkins now has a big new store in Leamington.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • graeme_s-2
    I live in Leamington Spa but commute to Warwick Uni daily.....

John Atkins now has a big new store in Leamington.

Simon

I commute to Warwick Uni from Cov. Work in WBS. To be honest I'm pretty happy with Coventry Cycle Centre, and it's super convenient being able to walk a crippled bike down there, or pop in on the way home from work. The staff in there are all friendly and nice enough, and they generally give me a bit of discount as a regular customer.
  • lae
    I live on Humber Ave, if you see a black Peugeot with zebra tape, it's me, I go up and down Gulson Road and Kenilworth Road quite often.