Fork broke :( What to do ? it has a crack. (picture inside)

Skyforger
Skyforger Posts: 31
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Today i found out my front fork is broken :( Don't know how it happened, wasn't Mbiking just street riding.
imag0474.th.jpg

Can i still ride till i scrap some money for new one ? and got any suggestions what to put on ?

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't ride it, unless I had absolutely no other choice. To be fair, the stanchions look dead anyway. Odds are it had already happened, and just got worse.

Good excuse for a shiny Xmas pressie though :wink: Budget, useage and travel/axles/steerer size needed will help with advice for a new fork.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    i wouldn't ride it again.

as for repair welding is the only option[/list]
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    It's dead

Do not ride

If the stanchions were in better condition it might have been worth seeing how much new lowers are, but they look FUBAR'd, so new fork time
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I am riding it, i ride 2miles to town center when needed.
    I was hoping something till 100£ even lower.
    I am using it for commuting tho i ride hard and aggressive with jumps from the pavement and so.
    Went to the local garage they said the metals is not weldable, it's that ... whit loads of oxygen in it when they process it.
  • they are knackered and very dangerous,
    i have binned forks which are much better than the ones you have
    time for a new set
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Skyforger wrote:
    I am riding it, i ride 2miles to town center when needed.
    I was hoping something till 100£ even lower.
    I am using it for commuting tho i ride hard and aggressive with jumps from the pavement and so.
    Went to the local garage they said the metals is not weldable, it's that ... whit loads of oxygen in it when they process it.

if you are be prepared for everything to spin around and your hub to fail.

dont lift the fork of the ground as you may find your wheel does not come up with the rest of the bike.

as I can identify the fork I can not for certain say that it is held together by both legs. Many are not.

I would not ride it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    New front teeth cost more than a replacement fork. They're also more difficult to fit. Bite the bullet while you still have the ability to bite.
  • crap It's the only transport i have. the fork is 100m travel and it's make RTS

Would these be good ?
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 59398.html
  • just get some decent steel rigid forks, far more suited to your riding.
  • I would like suspension less strain on my hands, as i said i do ride aggressive.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get the cheapest RS Tora you can find.
  • Thank you all for help will hunt for forks now.
    Any advice which ones to get welcome. Budget till 100£
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    well, gaffa tape and a NHS dentist, should fix any issues

RS toras are brill forks, for the money
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Skyforger wrote:
    My Street race style is to go as fast as possible from point A to B mostly in the city using road pavements parks anything that would shorten your route. And the best adrenalin rush i get is to cycle as fast as possible thou busy high-street, i bet cops have case on me already :)
    Karma?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Nachimir
    Nachimir Posts: 126
    Yeah, don't ride those. The lowers will move independently and start wailing on your hub, and the wheel will most likely work loose while doing more damage too.

I appreciate it's a bit over your budget, but for a fiver more than the Toras, you could get some Recons:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... VER-TK.htm
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    Skyforger wrote:
    I am riding it, i ride 2miles to town center when needed.
    . . .

Ah, in that case, http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/ ?
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • first of all you shouldn't be riding on the pavement at all; it's against the law. And is jumping down a kerb really classed as aggresive compared to proper mtb and jumps?
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Thats gonna end in tears............ and blood! lots of it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Skyforger wrote:
    i know i am a bit crazy, yet i am careful as much as possible.
    As i said i consider it to be my own sport and i enjoy riding streets.
    And i am looking for guys wanting to race in Reading.
    Thank you.

But whose?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Given your riding style, I'd suggest keep riding like an idiot and when the forks do fail and if it really end in tears (rather than a few breaks) I'll promise to put you in for a Darwin award. It's not your own sport if you endanger others........

If you're going to grow up and use your brain (stop riding on pavements and endangering other peoples lives including the rest of us by giving cyclists such a bad name such that we get no respect from motorists) then get some new one's.

For my Doris bike build I got some brand new Suntours for just £13 off ebay, although you may need to be patient to get what you want.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Delta5 wrote:
    Skyforger wrote:

lol, best advice up there.

I have a pair of Marzocchi suspension forks good for street riding/dirt jumping.
    Cost me £150 new, but they are street, no good off road (too bouncy).
    You can have them for postage + whatever you want to give extra.

I have had them sitting in a box for a few years and be happy to get rid of them.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Well I would have jumped at my offer, but that is me!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I've got some RST Mozo Pros you can have for £40. Sound suited to your type of riding and solid. Won't make your bike a thief magnet like some new forks will.

PM me if you're interested, they are in Sheffield but could post.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to lust after Mozo Pros lol.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Those forks are RST Launch forks, off a GT chucker if I remember rightly. They fall apart like this regularly, if they are less than a couple of years old it might be worth a trip to Halfords to see if they can do a deal under the warranty. They have a weakness on that exact line, and they always fail that side too? In 5 years at Halfords, I saw loads of these fail exactly the same way.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    no warranty if they have been jumped. even small hops invalidate the warranties of many companies
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thread heading for the FAIL bin :D

Still, nitpick - it's not always illegal to ride on pavements. It just has to be an assigned cycle path. Doesn't sound like this is the case though, and jumping off them with the potential of jumping into traffic is not going to win you prizes here.

Anyway, please post the resultant pics when the fork fails. I want to see blood! :D

Personally though if you need a commute bike, I'd go to a 2nd hand shop or look on ebay for a cheap £50 commuter bike. Cheap, ugly, not likely to be nicked, and will likely be better for road riding than an MTB. If it breaks, get another one. Then you can concentrate on looking after the MTB and chucking it around properly off road.

If you really want suspension for pavements, just get a cheap Apollo full sus. That's what they're designed for ;)
  • If you want to sell your good, please use the classifieds or PM the user.

Admin.