My Trance(s)

desmojen
desmojen Posts: 136
edited December 2010 in Your mountain bikes
For the last 5 years I have owned a Giant Trance 4, the original 4.2 inch travel version. I bought it as an upgrade from my previous bike, a Giant MCM980 and transferred the Pace fork and a few other good bits from it to the new bike.
Much to my shame, the Trance saw more use as a commuter than anything else for most of that time, until about May this year when the mountain bug bit me again. I almost immediately changed the wheels, since the originals had about had it by then, and fitted new tyres. Here is a picture of my Trance at that point.

14052010056.jpg

After a few months of being used properly, the decade old Pace forks gave up the ghost as well (stress cracks in the magnesium bridges) so I bought a Rockshox Reba to replace them. I had also replaced the crankset by this time, in fact the whole thing seemed to be breaking on me almost every time I used it! Not entirely surprising, as it had done a lot of miles, but road miles don't stress things like mud miles do. Here it is as it was at that point.

28082010168.jpg

Although I loved riding my Trance and was very confident on it, there were occasions when I struggled with it. Some of the fast clattery sections at Cwn Carn left me hanging on for dear life and on the edge of control, while some of the bigger drops at Afan were taxing for the front end. I spent a lot of time daydreaming about more travel that I couldn't afford, or so I thought.....

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a 2009 Trance X frame on e bay, in my size. And the best bit was the price, just £385! I couldn't really refuse at that price could I?

IMGP0164.jpg

I thought it might be a bit grufty at that price, but when it turned up I saw that it was anything but - result!
Of course I needed a different fork, my Reba being only 100mm and as good a fork as it was, not going to cut it. The Reba went on e bay and sold the same night.
Finding a new fork though, was proving troublesome. I wanted a U Turn Revelation, but finding one with QR dropouts and within my budget just wasn't happening. The last place I expected to find the right fork was the TF Tuned website, but that is where I found the answer. They supplied me with a new Rockshox Sektor fork with coil springing and U Turn adjustment, and the all important QR dropouts. Serviced and set up for me for £300 - brilliant value!

Everything else was set to be transferred from my old Trance, including some new parts I had amassed in order to convert back to separate shifters and brakes. A lot of that was second hand from sellers on here, so thanks to all you guys :)
I did have a couple of little hiccups with the build. Brake adapters were a pain to get hold of, then my new brakes had a much too short rear hose. But today the last parts arrived from CRC, and I was able to finish it off :D

IMGP0198.jpg

IMGP0192.jpg

IMGP0190.jpg

So there it is. I know it isn't a super bling flash mobile like some of the stuff on here, but it is exactly what I wanted it to be.
100-140mm U Turn fork, full XT apart from the SLX double and bash cranks. Easton finishing kit, lock on grips, Mavic Crossrides and RP23 shock.
So far I've only been up and down the road outside the house on it, and it feels very different to my old one, much softer but light and well balanced. I'm going to go get it muddy tomorrow :D

Jen.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    nice bike, that's the frame i'm looking to upgrade to next year...i hope i can find one for a bargain price aswell :D
  • That was quite a nice little read!

New bikes looks quite nice, with some good kit as well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice trance ya have there Buddy. 8)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Two nice bikes there. I have met quite a few Trance riders since getting mine & they all say that its an awesome bike.
    Are the forks RS Revelations? How does the bike ride with 140 travel? I'm thinking of fitting some 140mm forks to mine.
  • desmojen
    Thanks for the replies fella's.

Rockmonkey, the forks are the new Sektor, basically a Revelation chassis with Pike internals. I've not ridden it properly yet, but will post up when I have :)
    I have to agree that the Trance is a great bike, I think the original is far more capable than its looks, weight and travel would have you believe. The new one actually has a lot to live up to for me!

Jen.
  • very nice. The frame looks really nice in that colour. Hope you enjoy it
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I was thinking of getting a set of Sektors for my 456 Summer Season, will give them a try on the Trance first I think. I don't think you will be disapointed with the new Trance. I was tempeted to get the new one this year until I saw the price of it, £500 price rise on the X3 model and no real improvements in the spec other than a tapered steerer.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Really nice, I do like that frame, understated but classy!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • desmojen
    First ride yesterday, not a great ride due to the mud which managed to stop my back wheel turning completely on two occasions!
    That aside, I felt comfortable pretty much straight away which is nice. The first section of our local trail has a slightly downhill part with a load of lightly bermed corners which I used to really enjoy on my old Trance. I found the new one was more neutral and less like hard work to get around the corners. I wasn't expecting it to be as good with its more rearward weight bias, so that was a pleasant surprise. In fairness to my old bike, I was going a lot slower though because of the ice :lol:

So far so good then, a few more rides needed to settle everything in properly, let everything that wants to come loose do so, and then I'll take it to Wales for a proper christening!

I agree about the colour too, looks really classy. And being a frameset, I won't see that many around :wink:

Jen.