Mallorca in Spring

rogerthecat
rogerthecat Posts: 669
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
Okay so just booked my flights for a 10 day training camp in Palma de Mallorca the end of Feb to 5 Mar, anyone been before?

Comments

• I'll be there but I'll be in Pollensa. Hope the weather's better than last year - it snowed in February!!!
  • I've never been but am looking at going next year.

Out of curiosity where are you flying from and who with as I’m struggling to find flights from the North at that time of year? Also is it an organised camp and which company have you gone for?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I'll be there early April with my club for a week of fun.
  • Jonny_road wrote:
    I've never been but am looking at going next year.

Out of curiosity where are you flying from and who with as I’m struggling to find flights from the North at that time of year? Also is it an organised camp and which company have you gone for?

JR m8, flying from London as I am in Winchester, but using easyjet it worked out the cheapest, all in all 100 pounds ish, that was just from the flight.

I am going with a private party, staying at the Duva.

Has anyone used a Ti frame for long distance, we are looking to do 80 - 100 miles + a day for the 10 days and the hire coy I will be using have an option of a Ti frame. It's just that I heard they were mega comfy.
  • Hi
    I took the plunge this year in March. Was concerned i wuld be way out of my depth. I had a great week with Sportactive based in Pollensa. Was in the "easy" group which usually met up with the fast group at lunch and often the two groups cycled back together which pushed me to up my gsme.
    The other major thing is that there are loads of cyclists fand ew motorists and you get the sense that the cyclists rule the road.
    The hotel Sportactive used was also great with a terrific spa to help you recover after your ride.
    So go for it.

Peter
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I go every year but independent. Book seperate flights and hotel. I like the choice of choosing my own routes or I find that you are made very welcome to tag on with the various german amatuer teams out there. Although I got the fright of my life once when I inadvertantly got caught up in the middle of the Shimano Team peleton racing downhill into Luc Mayor!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    April 9th - Pollensa for me
  • Majorca, Majorca, Majorca. Have you dudes never heard of Tuscany?!!!!!
    Here's a small gallery from our club site: http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling-club ... scany.html
  • lucca
    lucca Posts: 51
    +1 for Tuscany :wink:
  • mrjinx
    mrjinx Posts: 38
    Do you guys go on your own or with a group? I fancy going solo next year please myself where I go and all that, or am I lonely and sad! sniff sniff sob sob
    its only money
  • bigjim
    Tuscany? twice the price.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Sorry if i'm hijacking the thread slightly but am thinking of doing a solo trip easter time next year to Majorca (taking advantage of the long weeks holiday due to the Royal Wedding). My missus is going to tag along and sunbathe etc while i play out on my bike. Question is how much is it extra to take my own bike if i book a package holiday eg with the likes of First Choice etc ? (never done it before thats all !!)

Thks.

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • mrjinx wrote:
    Do you guys go on your own or with a group? I fancy going solo next year please myself where I go and all that, or am I lonely and sad! sniff sniff sob sob

It depends what you want out of it. Mallorca for me is about hard training with a group and prep for the racing season which for me is March until June/July.

I'd probably go somewhere else if I was training or just riding alone - like Tuscany mentioned above or I'd stay at home (It's fantastic cycling here in early spring)
  • bigjim wrote:
    Tuscany? twice the price.

Yes, Tuscany will cost more, but it's not all about price... did we all go out and buy the cheapest bikes? Probably not. I thought Majorca was unbeatable (I'd been there about 10+ times)... until I discovered Tuscany. For me it was well worth trying somewhere new, and for me it's the new cycling paradise.
    ciao bella
    (':lol:')
  • bigjim
    Yes, Tuscany will cost more, but it's not all about price..
    No, but it all depends how much you can afford to spend. I'd love to do Tuscany but it is beyond my pocket. I'd also love a carbon framed bike but I can't do that either.
    So. I'm quite happy in Mallorca on my ali framed bike.
    Good luck to those that can afford it though.
  • bigjim wrote:
    Yes, Tuscany will cost more, but it's not all about price..
    No, but it all depends how much you can afford to spend. I'd love to do Tuscany but it is beyond my pocket. I'd also love a carbon framed bike but I can't do that either.
    So. I'm quite happy in Mallorca on my ali framed bike.
    Good luck to those that can afford it though.

I hear ya LargeJim but Tuscany is just a bit more than Majorca... and deffo not twice the price.
  • bigjim
    I hear ya LargeJim but Tuscany is just a bit more than Majorca... and deffo not twice the price.
    Deffo is. Go on low cost holidays and price Hotels FB or AI and see the difference and lack of choice in Tuscany.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Okay so just booked my flights for a 10 day training camp in Palma de Mallorca the end of Feb to 5 Mar, anyone been before?

Not trained here before - but I'll be there at exactly the same time - training at the veledrome and on the roads. Keep an eye out for the folks in the Irish National Team kit!
  • bigjim wrote:
    Deffo is. Go on low cost holidays and price Hotels FB or AI and see the difference and lack of choice in Tuscany.

I've been a few times, and paid a bit more 'cause its great.. but I've not found a mega difference like-for-like. More UK cyclists should try and discover Tuscany - I'm glad I did.
  • +1 for SportActive in Mallorca.

Great outfit. Did 2 training camps with them last year, incl. riding with Sean Kelly in October.

There's a serious challenge at the end of April - 312K sportive around the island including the big climbs. Should be fun. Start and finish is close to the SportActive base in Puerto Alcudia.
  • Leesykoi wrote:
    Sorry if i'm hijacking the thread slightly but am thinking of doing a solo trip easter time next year to Majorca (taking advantage of the long weeks holiday due to the Royal Wedding). My missus is going to tag along and sunbathe etc while i play out on my bike. Question is how much is it extra to take my own bike if i book a package holiday eg with the likes of First Choice etc ? (never done it before thats all !!)
    Thks.
    Lee.
    I will be doing the same in late March, staying in timeshare accommodation. Looking at Monarch they charge £18.50 per bike per flight i.e. £37 for the return trip - I imagine others charge similar rates. Of course you have the hassle of packing the bike for travel and reassembling it twice. Alternatively it is very easy to hire a good road bike in Mallorca and it will cost c£100 a week. Probably best to book in advance if you're going at Easter.
  • Sportactive are great. Highly recommend.
  • bigjim
    I think Lyinair are £35/40 each way for a bike. I brought a bike, one way, back from Mallorca this year and got charged 44euros at the airport. Robbin swines.
    Anybody else think £100 a week is a lot to hire a bike?
    You can hire a £8000 car for about £120 a week.
    £1000 bike £100 :?