chain length or how many links

tytherington
tytherington Posts: 219
edited December 2010 in Workshop
just converted my 10 speed road to a compact chain 50/34 set with 11/28 cassette how many links do i remove or how links should my chain be now ?

Comments

• is it the same size cassette?

Wrap the chain round the big sprocket at the front through the front derraileur, and round the largest rear sprocket without going through the rear mech then add a complete link.

Number of links is dependant on chainstay length
  • no was 12 /27 now 11/28 the bike is a 56cm
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If the chain is tensioned when on small/small then leave it as it is. You have only effectively taken one full link from the gears so that is the most you should remove. Your new set up is pushing the chain take up limit of a short cage mech so the chain needs to be as long as possible to be safe on big/big.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i removed 2 full links (4 half links) when i went from 52-42 to 50-34.
  • As per John.T, put chain on small/small and tighten up cranks. You want the situation where the chain is just tensioned by the doubled-up rear mech. If the rear mech is not doubled up but is in a more verticla position - chain too short.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    rake wrote:
    i removed 2 full links (4 half links) when i went from 52-42 to 50-34.
    Why. You only took 2 teeth away so one full link is enough unless the chain was too long before. It is always better to err on the long side rather than short. Less risk if you do go to big/big by mistake and you tend to get smoother changes.
    Shimano recomend that with the chain on the big ring and the small sprocket the jockey wheels should be vertical. If you are using 50/34 and 12/27 (or bigger) then set the lower one slightly behind the top one as you are actually going 2 teeth beyond their recomendations. New Dura-ace, Ultegra and 105 differ. It is easy to see if you have gone too long as the lower chain run will catch the small tab on the mech cage.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    the chain was probably a bit longer than normal because of the 42 small ring, no danger of it going too slack on small small (i dont use the gear). with a 39 front one link should do it.