Team Sky haters

littleking02
littleking02 Posts: 132
edited December 2010 in Pro race
When Bradley Wiggins was asked if most pro teams dislike Team Sky, but he quickly shrugged the question and said he didn't know where the rumour came from in the first place.

So is he right or are team Sky are hated by most teams for one reason or another?
ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Hate is a rather strong word.

Sky did themselves no favours last year- they came across as the 'big we are' and that kind of corporate meglomania doesn't go down well with many bike fans. The way they cut themselves off (the bus and the curtains in warm-up zones etc) also went against the grain, as did the rather high-profile 'tapping up' of contracted riders.

They talked the talk, but didn't really walk the walk. But as with all British sporting ventures, a good proportion of the public seem to revel in failiure, which is a shame. For me, it's credit where credit is due and the reality is Sky didn't really deliver much by way of high-profile results to generate any.

Perhaps this year will be different with Sky aparently adopting a more relaxed approach - diversifying from the one rider, one race approach has to be a good thing.
  • Couldn't agree more! This is year all the singings are more of 'team riders' rather than big name individual. Good Luck to them
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Brad compared Sky to Man Utd but they're more like Chelsea or Man City. They came steaming along with lots of money and didn't do much to begin with.

Hold on my anology isn't working here cos I still like City more than Utd.

Well, anyway they thought they were bringing a new sense of professionalism to a sport where the professionalism already existed. I think they now realise that they've got quite a lot to learn so I'd expect them to be a bit more popular as they become a little more modest.

I never hated them. I like riders rather than teams and like many of the Sky riders. I did find the whole PowerPoint presentations in team briefings thing a bit cringeworthy though. Like it was there because that was deemed to be more professional than it actually being useful.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • I think last season was a little humbling for them. They seemed to be crashing all of the time (particularly in the Giro) which if memory serves me correctly unnecessarily cut short wiggins time in pink.

By the time that the Tour came around and it was obvious that Wiggo was struggling they were a busted flush so hopefully the new signings will give them a few more bites at the cherry.

I do think that the Sky team is good for british cycling in general. Cycling is on an upward curve here and it is nice to know that it is reflected by way of a top flight pro team with a british presence.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pedro, what is it with you and Sky? Any thread that is about the team you are one of the main contributers!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Pedro, what is it with you and Sky? Any thread that is about the team you are one of the main contributers!
    Fancy that - someone being fixated on one team / rider. Whatever next!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Bronzie wrote:
    Pedro, what is it with you and Sky? Any thread that is about the team you are one of the main contributers!
    Fancy that - someone being fixated on one team / rider. Whatever next!

I know - who'd do that!
  • There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact give me a master of one and I'll give you 5 jacks of all. Too many people are worried to have an opinion, especially one that is different to the majority.

I was interested to know where his interest comes from.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact give me a master of one and I'll give you 5 jacks of all. Too many people are worried to have an opinion, especially one that is different to the majority.

I was interested to know where his interest comes from.

How many riders are there in your signature again? The rolling eye emoticon was made for your posts FF! But, I'll go for this one instead - :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • hey rat, I would refrain from replying to my posts as you have no credibility and post nothing of much worth.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    Ooooooh get you.

Credibility? Have you actually read any of your posts about Valverde and Contodour? You've asked for this...

:roll:

@ratsbey
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    hey rat, I would refrain from replying to my posts as you have no credibility and post nothing of much worth.

Hahahahahahaha it doesnt get any better than this.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    hey rat, I would refrain from replying to my posts as you have no credibility and post nothing of much worth.

LMAO! Since when has any one ever needed credibility to post on the Internet? Have a cookie...
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Lovin the way this thread has gone :D

Whos credibility is gonna get trashed next?
  • ratsbeyfus
    I woke up this morning, and overnight FF has only put some kind of 'fatwa' curse on my avatar. I've been branded by the self appointed 'BR King of Credibility'... :cry:

Damn you FF and your avatar shapeshifting trickery!

@ratsbey
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102

Nah - ramble about anything me............Sky, poltics, world peace............large hadron colider.....................................
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    I think that having a "Team Sky" onboard in cycling will do wonders for the sport and can only be a positive thing.

Not sure about all that blue stripe nonsense though.

"when they brush their teeth the bule stripe in the tooth paste is taking to them"

what can of rubbish is that? seriously? get real !
  • Karl2010 wrote:
    I think that having a "Team Sky" onboard in cycling will do wonders for the sport and can only be a positive thing.

That is very interesting. Because just like the when the premier league first started, it was SKY that made it to be the league that it is now. which is(was) a good thing. But know its just another money making scheme.
    If Team Sky do well, I can see SKY trying to get the TV rights to some races. Would that be good for the sport? Not sure, in my opinion I got into cycling because it was televised on Eurosport which is a free channel (within SKY NEWS package, not as expensive as SKY SPORTS channels).
  • Karl2010 wrote:

That is very interesting. Because just like the when the premier league first started, it was SKY that made it to be the league that it is now. which is(was) a good thing. But know its just another money making scheme.
    If Team Sky do well, I can see SKY trying to get the TV rights to some races. Would that be good for the sport? Not sure, in my opinion I got into cycling because it was televised on Eurosport which is a free channel (within SKY NEWS package, not as expensive as SKY SPORTS channels).
  • Karl2010 wrote: