Problem shifting into top and bottom gear

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

My gears (105 10speed groupset with ultegra chain and cassette) have been running fine for months, but when I went for a ride last weekend the chain was struggling to get onto the rear cogs (was fine on my previous ride).
I fiddled with the barrel adjuster on the roadside and ended up being able to move up and down the cassette pretty smoothly, except I can't change into the top or bottom gears.

I don't know why this happened and to my knowledge the rear derailleur hasn't been knocked.
Any suggestions what might have gone wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    First thing to try is to clean and lube the cables. It sounds like a classic case of dirt in them.
  • 45rpm
    45rpm Posts: 43
    agreed with above but if that doesn't help If its the smallest and biggest sprocket your having trouble with then it could be the limit screws need adjusting. Careful with that though, you don't want to getting it wrong you could overshift into your spokes.
  • If the limit screws haven't been touched than leave them alone. The problem seems to be the classic one at this time of year in that the RD becomes unable to travel over its full travel because of muck and salt. Lube the RD pivot points and in the highest gear, pull down on the exposed gear cable while rotating the pedals. This should free up the RD sufficiently.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    If the limit screws haven't been touched than leave them alone. The problem seems to be the classic one at this time of year in that the RD becomes unable to travel over its full travel because of muck and salt. Lube the RD pivot points and in the highest gear, pull down on the exposed gear cable while rotating the pedals. This should free up the RD sufficiently.

I agree with this, but just in case, here's a pretty good vid to show you how to adjust the limit screws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Thanks all, I'll give try cleaning and lubing everything this weekend and see it it sorts the problem out.

Can I use my normal chain lube on the cables (Prolink Gold)? I've also got some GT85 and some Finish Line Wet lube in the shed too.
  • Cubic wrote:
    Thanks all, I'll give try cleaning and lubing everything this weekend and see it it sorts the problem out.

Can I use my normal chain lube on the cables (Prolink Gold)? I've also got some GT85 and some Finish Line Wet lube in the shed too.
    Use GT85 to clean the cables and that will act as a light lube also. After Winter is over, dismantle and check the cables, clean and lube or replace if needed.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I would finish off with the Prolink Gold. A better lube than GT85. Most important is to get it all clean, especialy the rear loop outer cable.