Fanny - Lumbar - Waist/Belt Packs .... ???

vja4Him
vja4Him Posts: 39
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Does anyone use a fanny (lumbar, waist, belt) pack while riding around town?

I'd like to find a large fanny pack, that will still be reasonably comfortable while riding around town. I need something that is high quality, so it will last and withstand lots of use, and stuffing it full of lots of stuff (for work, shopping, and also backpacking).
- Riding 4 Life

Comments

• Bum bag is the local terminology :)
    Not personally, saddle bags for that sort of thing
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • This is the waist pack I'm looking at getting:

http://www.ebags.com/product/mountainsm ... d=mrch6617

I would like to have a waist pack that I can still move from side to side, so I can easily get to the stuff, without having to unstrap the pack.

I really don't want to carry a backpack or shoulder bag. I've tried carrying shoulder bags, and it's just not comfortable for me.

I removed all four of my panniers (large Ortlieb), so I can travel light. When I go shopping now, I'm using two duffle bags which I bungie to the Surly Nice rear rack. Also can bungie stuff to the front Surly Nice rack, and also fill my Arkel Big Bar Bag.

When I need to stock up with more stuff, I'll put the four panniers on, head across town to WINCO, and stock up with $250-300 in food items. Several months ago I made the largest haul yet, $350 in food! Not bad without a trailer!
    - Riding 4 Life
  • Have a look at camping & hiking shops. I've got a great one compact but spacious enough for wallet keys etc, a book, emergency toolkit and has a bottle holder. I got it from Blacks I think a few years ago and its still going strong. Comfy & well designed enough to sit and stay in place all day without discomfort.
  • I've got a North Face lumber pack similar to the one suggested and had it for at least 5 years. Friends think it hilarious when I talk about my 'really big bum bag' interpreting it as a bag to go with my really big bum rather than a large capacity bum bag :roll: .

I hate the sweaty back you can get from a rucksack and find if great for walks and quick jaunts out on the mountain bike. I use it when I'm doing a bit of a walk once I get to where I'm cycling. If I was travelling any distance or had any weight I stick something on the rack though (even if it meant bungee around the bum bag)
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • I have the Innov-8 water carrier stylee one (from Wiggle) and absolutely love it. Work access card in a side pocket - perfect for opening barriers without taking the card out. Oppsite pocket perfect for spare inner, levers, CO2 etc and main compartment can fit fresh shirt and underwear (plus phones, wallet etc) or, at this time of year, additional layers in case of disaster in the middle of nowhere.

The best bit is that once I'm on the bike, I'm not aware of wearing it at all - which isn't the case with a rucksack or courier bag. It has been seemingly totally waterproof too.

Highly recommended.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I use this one:
    http://www.sativabags.com/online_store/ ... 110898.cfm :D

You get a keyfob with it.
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    vja4Him wrote:
    Does anyone use a fanny (lumbar, waist, belt) pack while riding around town?

I'd like to find a large fanny pack, that will still be reasonably comfortable while riding around town. I need something that is high quality, so it will last and withstand lots of use, and stuffing it full of lots of stuff (for work, shopping, and also backpacking).

:Sniger:

Oh it's been done already.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    I've had one of these for a few years with a 10 litre capacity and compression cords - excellent.
    (This is NOT my one - purely using link for example)