Chain Ring compatibility

Criller
Criller Posts: 57
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I made a post a while ago now http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12710225&highlight=

I'm now at a point where I have to replace my cassette, chain and outer chain ring.

Looking at the components suggested in my original post I'm worried about getting a chain ring that is not compatible with my existing chainset. When I look at the chain ring that's on at the moment I have no part number and the only wording I can see is "Mega 9"

What do I need to look out for? I think I'm correct in saying that I need a 104BCD 4 bolt chain ring. What does 104BCD mean?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bolt Circle Diameter

and 104mm

its a standard 4 bolt sizing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nicklouse,

Does that mean that any 104 BCD will fit?
  • If your current chainrings are 104BCD, which they most likely are, then any 104BCD chainring will fit. Just also make sure you get a 4 bolt chainring with 104BCD.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Criller wrote:
    Thanks Nicklouse,

Does that mean that any 104 BCD will fit?

well you may need to take a file to the shoulders of the ring as the crank makers keep playing with that size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown