How tight should I tighten my jockey wheels?

ductions
ductions Posts: 274
edited December 2010 in Workshop
I gave my bike a clean yesterday and I took my jockey wheels out and gave them a proper clean. When unscrewing the bolts, they were very tight and I had to really push on my allen key to unscrew them. When I was putting them back in place and tightening the bolts, it stopped the jockey wheels from turning.
At the moment I've tightened them enough so that the jockey wheels can still turn, but the bolt feels very loose and I'm worried about it falling apart during a ride.
It's a 105 rear dérailleur, with non bearing jockey wheels.
Have I done something wrong?

Comments

• sounds like you've forgotten a bit...

The jockey wheels spin on an axle than is clamped pretty hard between the plates and the wheel is slightly thinner than the axle so spins freely.

They're really hard to undo because of threadlock though. So don't worry too much
  • ductions
    sounds like you've forgotten a bit...

The jockey wheels spin on an axle than is clamped pretty hard between the plates and the wheel is slightly thinner than the axle so spins freely.

They're really hard to undo because of threadlock though. So don't worry too much

Thanks. When I took it apart all there was for each wheel was the bolt which is smooth in the centre so presumably is the axle itself, the two plates on either side of the wheel and the bushing in the wheel (which I didn't actually take out), so I don't think I missed anything out. I hope not!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    The jockey wheels are different. Make sure you've got them in the right place and the right way round, otherwise it won't work.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the bolt should be tight, as it is clamping the spacer it should not effect the jockey wheel unless you have added lots of grease or forgotten a bit.

see the exploded view here
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ductions
    Yeah I made sure I had the two wheels the right way round. I'll double check tomorrow. The wheels are set up the same way as in the exploded diagram too. The jockey wheels are still on my bike though which is a good sign I guess!