Back Wheel Wobble! * Now with Pics*

astormatt
astormatt Posts: 79
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Alrite all,

I have converted my '10 Stinky from QR to a 12mm axle on the back and now there is movement in the wheel.
I have taken everything apart and the hub is all tight so i am just thinking is it the tollerance between the hub and the axle itself?
When putting the axle through the hub off the bike there is slight play and when fitted back together it feels even worse.
Has anybody else had this and what did you do to sort it?
The hub is a Superstar X-Switch and the axle is a standard 135mm x 12mm Kona axle.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds either you are missing something or you are not fitting/tightening it correctly.

Pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The axle is in properly, i have done it up as tight as it will go. I got my LBS to do the job, fit the new dropouts etc, as they rebuilt my wheel using the new hub and they never mentioned anything at all. Hmm Strange.
    Will get some pics up asap.
  • Right i have changed my axle from the standard Kona one to a SuperStar but the movement is still present, everything is done as tight as it can be so i am lost.
    Just thought i would try my luck here before taking it back to my LBS and get them to take a look.

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00380.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    with that done tight the wheel should not beable to move.

you are going to have to look carefully at what is actually moving. are the bearings dead?

IE what is actually moving in relation to what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I cant see any movement from the Hub when its all done up tight and when the wheel is out of the bike i cant feel any movement in the hub, although when moving the wheel from side to side when fitted in bike i get a "ching" noise which is obviously the disc rotor hitting the caliper.
    It does not matter if i hold the tyre, rim or spokes when rocking the wheel i can still feel movement.
    I have locked it all away now so will report back tomorrow when i have a better look. :(
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As Niclouse says, when done up tight in the frame, the axle should have no effect (until ridden). If you can still feel movement its likely your bearings are shot or not seated right. The frame should be able to grip the whole assembly together with or without axle in place.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Are you sure the rear hub is 12 mm - not 15mm?
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Dropouts and suspension pivots all tightened correctly?

How much is it moving - if the bearings are shot, you would normally be able to feel when you spin the wheel if you just hold onto the ends of the axle and give it a quick spin, but it's unlikely they're knackered if it's a new hub.

Have you tried it with Superstar's own 12mm axle - maybe there's some compatibility issue?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Horton wrote:
    Dropouts and suspension pivots all tightened correctly?

Good call.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Could it just be the hub bearings? Even without changing anything I usually have to tighten my rear hub once a month or so. If I don't it develops obvious sideways movement (probably a couple of mm's each way) and a 'knocking' feeling. My friend has the same problem with his rear Mavic Crossline with a Maxle.

I don't know how the SS Switch hub works,but there must be an easy way just to nip everything tight. Your LBS will probably happily give it all a once over if there might be some problem with their work.
  • I had another look tonight when i got home, took it all apart, just to make sure everything was tight with the hub etc.
    I could feel slight movement in the hub so i took the hub apart checked the bearings and put it back together, but i didnt tighten it as tight as i could, so its tight but not super tight, then i couldnt feel play.
    So i put the wheel back in and tightened up the axle again so its tight but not super tight and now there is no movement in the wheel now :|
    When i let the back end drop there is no " chings" or vibration like there was before, so it appears to be fixed.
    I am kind of happy but at the same time thinking whats the deal then?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Probably sorted then. Taking things apart and re-assembling I find often fixes things and you learn how it all fits together at the same time. So long as you are confident it's all re-assembled properly and parts are tightened up to the right tolerances (and where whatever screws need threadlock etc you have done so accordingly), then all should be good.

Still. Don't know much about non-QR. I do know with QR you really need to do them up tight enough to leave a mark on your hand. Tighter than you think. I've had a few incidences where I thought it was very tight but after a short ride the rear wheel was loose!